Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Conference folded, paper needs to find a new place; unmotivated : (

T

I submitted a paper, been peer reviewed, reedited, resubmitted, payed the fees and waited for a year for the whole process. However, I found out that the university doesn't approve the conference so there's no funding to the conference and it seems that the conference has problems of its own now after further investigation : (

I now need to find a new conference venue; but I'm unmotivated to do so fearing the same thing will happen again. Any advice is much appreciated : (

H

Ask other members of your research group which conferences they have been to in the past and would recommend. They are likely to be more reliable conferences which will attract university approval.

B

Hazyjane isabsolutely right with her advice to ask other researchers or your supervisor. Here's some info to give you an idea of warning signs of this sort of thing in the future:
http://www.cs.bris.ac.uk/Teaching/learning/junk.conferences.html
I seem to remember from your other posts that you're a masters students applying for PhDs at the moment, if so have a look at whatever the main UK association for your subject is and see if they have a postgraduate conference - these are normally subsidised, so would be a respectable place to present your work without incurring much more expense, seeing as you've already lost out financially with this scam.

T

Quote From bewildered:
Hazyjane isabsolutely right with her advice to ask other researchers or your supervisor. Here's some info to give you an idea of warning signs of this sort of thing in the future:
http://www.cs.bris.ac.uk/Teaching/learning/junk.conferences.html
I seem to remember from your other posts that you're a masters students applying for PhDs at the moment, if so have a look at whatever the main UK association for your subject is and see if they have a postgraduate conference - these are normally subsidised, so would be a respectable place to present your work without incurring much more expense, seeing as you've already lost out financially with this scam.

Thank you for the reply : (

The thing is, I'm not the only who's having the problem; it seems a few of the other researchers have the same problem as well.

I'm doing a PhD now, and I was so hoping for a publication : (

T

.Just to update on this, the conference didn't fold fortunately : )