Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Conference: What should I wear???

B

Hi all.

Im off to my first conference to present a poster. Im a bit scared not just for what im presenting and meeting leading academic, but what do I wear.

I do not want to go in jeans and T-Shirt (cus Ill stand out like a student and not look the part), but dont want to go in a suit and look really out of place.

What should a male PhD student wear at conference to not look out of place and also not to stand out.

B

cheers for the replies. I thought as much.

Furthermore, I have no fashion sense. whwat colour shirts and trousers would be best?

Also Shoes, no body mentioned shoes. Is it smart black jobs, or will a pair of comfortable mochasins suffice.

Ahhhh. I know what im saying in the presentation, but all I can thinking about is making a fool of myself and saying the wrong thing, or looking the wrong way.

Pathetic I know.

H

I don't think it matters as some academics can be VERY scruffy!

However if you are trying to make contacts, I think its quite important to look somewhat presentable.

H

I think you should wear a superman costume for the new film!

A

I think it depends on the field, people are generally in suits/smart casual attire at medical conferences, especially if presenting.

S

Nothing

wearing nothing would certainly make your name circulate better

A

LOL!

B

Ann. Rocky horror sounds like a sweet idea. I could have a matching name badge Dr. Frank-N-Furter. Thing is its a plant pathology conference and in my experience these guys have very little sense of humour, so it may just be lost on them.

Keep your answers coming in on backs of (electronic) postcodes, and a lucky inner will be drawn out at random before I go.

B

whoops it was danb with the rocky horror suggestion, Ann was just laughing along.

Ann -1 credit for tricking me by inhibiting my ability to read due to the complex structure of your post and some form of mind numbing telapathy.

DanB a firm hand shake and a manly strong pat on the back. Well played sir, good innings. (Dont want ppl getting the wrong idea of me with all this talk of rocky horror)

A

Mia, I expect DanB has had to go for a cold shower after your last post!