Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Decreasing hours when they should be increasing?!

K

Hey all! So I'm busy writing up at the moment- deadline end of September. It looks like I should finish roughly on time, although it's hard to tell for sure just yet. But whereas most people say they increase their hours and work more than ever during the write up phase, I seem to be going the other way round. In first and second year I was out a lot testing and at case meetings in the hospital etc, but I could easily work 12 hours per day and most of my weekend without a second thought. But now I'm just at my desk all day, I crawl along to 5pm and then really can't take it any more. I sometimes go in at weekends but usually end up having a snooze on my desk! I am getting stuff done but I just don't seem to have the same stamina- is it normal to have this happen when you're busy writing all the time? I just feel like my brain can only take so much per day now it's concentrating on writing all the time! Cheers all! KB

A

======= Date Modified 07 Mar 2011 14:10:14 =======
My deadline is the same as yours KB (September). I feel like I'm working more hours to be honest but certainly relate to the snoozing at my desk. I literally fell asleep last Friday:$. It's coming together but it's word by slow word. However, like you, I feel, think, hope that I'm on target so I guess that's the main thing.

Personally I have found the writing up phase the most challenging from many perspectives - gathering it altogether, motivation, coherence, even down to the selection of the correct phrase. I never found the actual writing bit difficult but just lately even my spelling and grammar have deserted me!

Edit: had to edit due to typos!!

S

I wrote a huge reply to this earlier but lost it. Argh.

Anyway. I also have a similar deadline to you and I am on track for August/September. My hours haven't decreased because I never had to work longer than average hours anyway but I can identify with feeling like they should increase as I started writing up. However I know that concentrating and writing effectively for long periods doesn't work for me. I also found that there is nothing which makes me work more productively than having a set task to do on a Saturday and wanting to get it out of the way so that I can get on with my weekend. So I have now stopped worrying so much about time spent working and instead I set myself targets each day (usually 1000 words). If I hit the target I don't feel bad about shaving the odd hour off my working day. It isn't productive to spend time in front of the computer not actually getting any work done just because you feel like you should be.

So my advice is rather than aiming to work until 5, aim to get a certain amount of work done that day.

D

Hi Keanbean, I think that the previous years were spent being out and about setting up, planning and actioning the 'data' collections so the days did go on and on, in my case certainly!  The motivation to get things moving was high. Once the write-up phase started, the time was more focused and concentrated which is very tiring in itself.  Deadlines loom which steals the motivation somewhat as the pressure hits. I found that I worked harder but probably for shorter durations but then slow and steady is a good way to write-up.  I would worry if you were keeping the same pace as it would be easy to burn out before you get there! Keep setting the goals and gradually it will be written.  I thought it wouldn't take long but the reality demonstrated that it was longer than I appreciated. I am now twiddling my thumbs awaiting for final draft feedback.  One sup has agreed submission ( (up)), one has hinted that it is imminent but awaiting his comments and the other ones silence speaks lots (he hasn't read it yet). So I am not sure which is worse, sitting around not knowing what to do or writing, writing and more writing!!!

P

Hey KeanBean, what bipolar phase are you in at the moment? I am in the low phase at the moment, so my work hours have reduced from doing 9 hours of writing to about 5 hours a day. I've accepted the fact that right now, I cannot do any more than that. Instead, I plan the 5 hours carefully so that I get the most amount of work done in that 5 hours.

Even without the bipolar, I do think it's very hard to write like you data collected. You have to think SO hard about what you are writing, and constantly. I've always been amazed at how sitting down, not doing anything physical, but just thinking tires you out so much!

I would just do what you can and be realistic. Pushing yourself harder than your body is willing to is only going to start causing you problems further down the line.

K

Hey all, thanks for your helpful (and reassuring) comments! I think I do need to just not worry about doing all the hours I used to and just work as hard as I can for a shorter amount of time- it is so draining having to think so hard all the time lol! I guess I've only been writing up for a few weeks so I haven't quite worked out how it's best for me to do it yet.

Pink- I am actually relatively okay with the bipolar right now, but am still having a lot of other health problems which are definitely affecting my ability to work. I was slightly tempted to come off my meds and induce a manic episode so I'd get a load of work done v quickly (I hear of people actually doing that before exams etc) but I know how quickly things turn bad when I have a manic episode so I'm gonna be a good girl and stay on them!! But well done you managing to do all that writing while you're on a downer- don't know if I would manage that!

Dunni- you're so close! Am very jealous, hope you get to submit really soon and give your brain a little rest before the viva prep sets in!

Best wishes everyone, KB