Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Guardian Leaving Academia article

B

http://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/blog/2014/may/01/academic-anonymous-leaving-academia
I thought this might be of interest - I think the comments are thought-provoking.

H

Sadly there's nothing terribly surprising in this person's experience.

T

Very interesting, but I'm glad I'm an optimist, I'm still going to try for a post doc ;)

W

I've worked lots of jobs. It's much of a muchness. Change the title for almost any other job atm!

P

That was depressing to say the least but at the same time I think that a lot of the comments are overly pessimistic. I'm not saying it isn't horrible for some people but I have been carrying out research at my Univeristy since September and I started my PhD today. This was completely due to luck I admit but I still plan to maintain a sensible working day even though I am now being paid. I've worked late evening and weekends when necessary but this is mostly due to poor time management or other commitments in the week meaning I need to make up for it. I'm really looking forward to working in academia and hope I get to continue for many years and even if it's hard I'm willing to put the effort in to continue and if that doesn't work there's always McDonald's.

P

Plus I think the rate of pay is pretty amazing.

T

Quote From PhDStudentCharlie:
Plus I think the rate of pay is pretty amazing.

Sarcasm? haha

I actually find it funny, to the 'average' person 30k is a lot of money and many people would love to be on that salary when they are aged 25 - 30. To the people lucky enough to have a PhD, they think it's peanuts.

I was earning about 28k when I left my job to start my PhD and that salary is more than enough for a single person. I want to get a postdoc because personally I don't think the workload or stress levels are going to be anything like what I experienced in that job. If it is, then I'll be looking for another career path. Work-life balance is too important to me.

P

Actually I'm completely sincere. I so excited just by my PhD stipend so to think I'll be on double that when I finish is great. I've always lived on a tight budget and I don't plan on changing it now I'm getting paid its just a chance for me to start saving.

F

A few observations:

1. The author of the article states they never wanted to be an academic...that's half the motivation for doing a postdoc go through the window right there.

2. I'm sorry but if attending to emails between 7pm and 9pm is too much for you, you are in the wrong field. The author also says it clashed with courses they were taking twice a week. Excuse me but anyone with semi-decent organizational skills can work around that.

3. Most importantly and I quote "I will take my resumé to pubs and coffee shops. I just want to find a job now that will give me time to relax, focus on my hobbies and find what I want to do with the rest of my life."

Again you are in the wrong field, because if you want to relax, and focus on hobbies, don't take a postdoc....or any demanding job for that matter. You don't know what you want out of life? Don't take a postdoc.

Moral of the story: Yes the statistics for becoming a full time academic are daunting, and a postdoc is a rite of passage. Accept that. But most of all, don't make a bad professional decision (based on the author's priorities), and then write a bitter article because you are upset you made a bad professional decision. I am sure there are plenty jobs for hardcore science people in industry.

T

As always, spot on Fled. As long as you know what you are letting yourself in for, it's not gonna be too bad and it's not forever. You may not get an academic position at the end of it. Oh well, build up a set of transferable skills in the meantime and find another job.

I can related to that article from different perspectives in both my post-docs.

In the first, I was treat okay and worked with some decent people although the wages were poor. That was a big help during "year four" write-up and I was able to do a lot with that post-doc including some interesting student supervision work.

In the second, I actually got a decent wodge of cash, but the working conditions were not the best in the world. I remember discussions with my family as to why I had to nip in on a weekend. Also, a stranger and his girlfriend on a bus I got talking to bluntly said he thought my boss was a p**ck for forcing me to go in. He said he could be asked to to overtime in his job, but he could opt to say no and it was a Sunday so no it was.

During the second, it was clear if you were not in his inner circle, your welfare was of secondary concern to the experimental programme. There were also less opportunities to do things slightly extra curricular (i.e. student supervision). I was used as a dogsbody and little more.

I miss the research, but some of the more unsociable aspects I'm glad to leave behind.

Ian

Quote From Fled:
A few observations:

1. The author of the article states they never wanted to be an academic...that's half the motivation for doing a postdoc go through the window right there.

2. I'm sorry but if attending to emails between 7pm and 9pm is too much for you, you are in the wrong field. The author also says it clashed with courses they were taking twice a week. Excuse me but anyone with semi-decent organizational skills can work around that.

3. Most importantly and I quote "I will take my resumé to pubs and coffee shops. I just want to find a job now that will give me time to relax, focus on my hobbies and find what I want to do with the rest of my life."

Again you are in the wrong field, because if you want to relax, and focus on hobbies, don't take a postdoc....or any demanding job for that matter. You don't know what you want out of life? Don't take a postdoc.

Moral of the story: Yes the statistics for becoming a full time academic are daunting, and a postdoc is a rite of passage. Accept that. But most of all, don't make a bad professional decision (based on the author's priorities), and then write a bitter article because you are upset you made a bad professional decision. I am sure there are plenty jobs for hardcore science people in industry.

I understand what you are saying and I expect a heavy workload during post-doc (i.e. rite-of-passage), but you also have the right to be treat as a human being and not just another piece of lab equipment. If the author has had a horror post-doc, then it's no wonder she needs time to take stock.

I had a stinker second post-doc where I was literally treat as another piece of (disposable) lab equipment.

Ian