Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Had an interview and got a reaction back but is it positive or negative?

A

Hi Guys,

Recently I have had an interview, for a PhD project.

A few days later I have received a message stating that I was not selected at this time because they want to change the start date. This because I wasn't able to start at the primary date (I am currently finishing my masters). The supervisor did ask if I still was interested in that project and if I do, they were willing to keep my details on desk. Today I found the "new"-"old" project online again with another starting date. But there was no deadline stated...

So what do you guys think? Is this a positive situation? Or rather negative?

Cheers!

Alex

A

Additionally, the new start date fits my current profile, at that time I normally will be graduated ;-)

A

sounds to me that you need to 'gently' remind them that they already have your details etc otherwise your place that all but promised you might go to somebody else.

A

I have already "reminded" them and they just give me an answer of that I won't need to reapply, they just want that I reconfirm my interest thats all but I am not sure if that is positive or negative...

A

maybe then check that your reminder is enough of an expression of you still being interested in the position. You could send a short, formal email stating the date of your first interview, confirming you will be finished with your masters by the [new] start date and that you are still interested in being considered for the post.

A

Done that a while ago (before christmas holiday)... :S

D

It sounds like the start date has been changed and therefore they have to readvertise the position again for a designated period of time to fulfill legal requirements. They will have to conduct short-listing and interviews taking into consideration new and existing applicants to make the process fair/equal. As long as you have formally expressed your interest for the new advert then you can only wait...........hard I know.

A

Still no news... :-(

A

dear alex

i had a similar situation more thn once and i still am searching for phD;s so my suggestion to you is to stop waiting and im not askin you to lose hope but seriously stop waiting for this one and apply to others in fact as many as you can...there is no point in waiting and worrying!

Good luck!

AJ

A

Hi,

Thanks for your answer, but did they contacted you back again to say that you weren't successful or did you never got an answer back?

I have phoned them a month ago to ask them and the supervisor did confirm to me that she was impressed by my presentation during my interview so I thought all went ok but until now I haven't got any updates.. :(

Alex

P

Hi Alex

If I read correctly, you had not finished your Masters at the point where the PhD originally started? There are rules regarding this - you can't be studying both your Masters and your PhD at the same time.

I personally would knock on the supervisor's door and ask politely what the situation is. I can't imagine this would contravene any social airs or graces, or harm your chances.

A

No pierre, you are right and wrong :P I am doing my masters right now but the PhD should be starting next academic year.... So I dont know what to do :S