Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

How much work to do before I start my PhD?

C

Hey all,

I start my PhD in a Chemistry related area in January, I was wondering how much reading etc. I should do before I actually start it. I'm in my 30s and been away from education for a few years, so I've been looking at my old lecture notes from my undergraduate degree to remind me of the basics I might have forgotten. Should i start searching for papers to do with PhD or should i just enjoy Christmas and then get stuck in when it actually starts in January?

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Good question, and one that I certainly wondered about before I started. My answer - none. Your PhD will be in one very specific area, so I'd reckon that at least about 90% of what you read will be useless. If you can search for a review paper or two, that might be a good idea, but this depends on whether you have access to them. Certainly don't start paying for them!!

My advice is to enjoy Christmas. :)

J

A lot depends on whether you are joining an advertised PhD where the research has already been planned or whether you are writing your own research proposal. I did a lot of work before I registered for my PhD because I was self funded and writing my own proposal.

S

Definately enjoy Christmas. As 4matt has said, a lot of your reading might not be relevant anyway. I did a bit of reading before I started (my own project and proposal) but it didn't make any difference in the end.

C

Thanks all!

It was an advertised post, so i haven't got to research a proposal or anything like that. At least now i can eat too much and watch bad telly over Christmas without feeling too guilty about not doing any work - just feel guilty about watching bad telly and eating too much!!:-)

M

I spent my summer doing work ahead of starting in October. Absolutely pointless. Not a single bit of it was even remotely relevant after the project changed dramatically. Should have enjoyed my summer and let loose.

I would enjoy (tree), (turkey) and lots of (mince) and then get cracking once the actual project starts because then, your life will not be your own. Enjoy freedom while you have it!

R

======= Date Modified 12 Nov 2010 13:09:56 =======
I agree with the others. I started my PhD (advertised post) in October a month after completing my MSc at the same institution with the same supervisor. There was a 4 week gap in between and I was told by my sup to enjoy the time off and not do any reading, although he did offer to send me some papers if I wanted them. I decided to take his advice and had 4 weeks off and started the PhD feeling recharged. So you should definitely enjoy xmas and don't feel guilty about eating too much cake, it's what the holidays are for! :-)

A

Hi cobhc,
I've just started, and my supervisor recommended I take the summer off. So, sharpen your pencils, get a study space ready, and just relax for a bit. It's a bit like the final month or so of being pregnant: enjoy the peace before it all kicks off....

P

I agree with others- Enjoy christmas. I read the book 'how to get a PhD'. Helped prepare me for what might be involved. PM and I cad send it to you.

;-)