Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

How to defeat your destiny?

E

Dear colleagues,
Hi, I am From Sudan, I have got a Ph.D. in microbiology (Bacteriology), from Sudanese University (Al Neelain ) which is not a well-known university! And since my Ph.D. is not from Western (Europian or American) University, I can not find good job opportunity or post-doc in accredited Universities or research institutions! Now, I am working in the Middle East, in a University there, I earn an acceptable salary, but just teach some principles and basics of the biology subjects!, Although I struggled in research to develop myself and published up to 19 papers many of them are ISI indexed. But I always failed to get the post-doc or good position in considerable academic or research institutions!
It is not my fault that I am from a poor country, It is not my fault that my destiny and my circumstances put me in this situation, I have met some researchers from rich Western countries and I noticed that I am much smarter , enthusiastic and creative!, Yes, life is unfair, but we should not give up! Any advice? Did anyone suffer from such situation ?
Thank you in Advance

T

There are some researcher from western countries who conduct research in places far away from their homelands. You might get in touch with someone like that who is doing research in Sudan related to your field. I am surprised that even after having 19 papers you are not picked up. You might be just having a really really bad year mate. Life sucks!

B

I don't know if you are aware of how few people who complete PhDs get a permanent academic post in the countries I think you are targeting - for the UK, the Royal Society claims it's 8%. So in reality even if you are unhappy with your job, you are doing better than most. I wonder whether you are trying to jump too far too fast? Universities in the United States especially seem to put so much emphasis on where you did your PhD that maybe applying there at this point is not the best use of your time.
Might it make sense to try to move initially to a better university in your current country / region so that you are in a better research environment with more resources? Then I think you need to get your name known. Are there possibilities to apply for grants for short research visits to the type of institute you want to work in to learn a new technique? Build collaborations with Western researchers working on your region like Talented suggests? Are you making sure your papers are as accessible as possible e.g. use academia.edu or similar? What i'm suggesting is that you might have to look on this as a longer term project and think step by step how you can get into the position you want to be in.