Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

How to handle being "overqualified" for industry jobs

C

Does anyone have an experience of getting PhD level jobs in industry? How did you manage it? I don't have any industry experience so I either get told I need experience or I am "overqualified" and I will be bored and leave so they won't take me on. Is there anyway of countering this, or is it just trying more and more companies until someone will take me on?
I am limiting myself by location to stay with my partner which I may have to reconsider in a few months. I feel very down as I am currently working as a temporary receptionist on an extremely low wage.

R

cc. this sounds like not an uncommon problem for people who graduate with PhDs and dont stay in academia. Have you tried discussing this with the careers service at your university? If they are any good they should have lots of information on the job opportunities available to you in your feild and at your degree level as well as how to sell your self through your CV. also try searching the internet for recruitment agencies, its their job to find positions for people, so it cant do any harm contacting as many as possible.

chin up :)

P

Hi.. I think it is depend on what you want to do. I am applying for ph.d for next year as I realised that I need a full career as I am working for the government. In many countries, governments agencies hire more and more ph.d grad. And as you are just master degree holding, to get promote for higher position is tougher. Well, I don't know what job you are looking for. I don't know to go for academic career, but i want a bigger step in my job. Good luck for job searching

C

Thanks for your replies
I'll try my careers service again.

R

What area did you complete your PhD in?

C

Biochemistry (enzymes/NMR/protein expression)

P

My friend found this, he got turned down for loads of interviews when he had amazing qualifications AND prior experience. He changed 'PhD' to 'Postgraduate degree' and all of a sudden, the interviews were flooding in... The question he got asked was 'Why do a PhD and not go into academia?' ... When applying for my job (graduate position) I just took 'currently undertaking a PhD' off my CV... I then found out, having started, that my company weren't supportive to PhD students and my manager + others kept trying to tell me to quit..but that's another story..

V

I have received ridiculous letters from HRM saying that they did not choose me for the job because 'somebody had a higher qualification' (the job was in my field). I wonder, what is higher than a PhD?
Another annoying thing is that before PhD I had no problems finding a job and even head-hunters were contacting me...that is not the case now.

C

Interestingly after a mini-rant to the nice man at the agency he has somehow got me an interview even though they said I was overqualified and would leave straight away. I pointed out I was temping on not much above the minimum wage and it's my choice
I am confused as they only want a HND (or HNC?) but it is a graduate-level salary and a very thorough interview with about 5 parts. I would see it as something to get initial experience so I could move up the company/get a job where they asked for "experience."

C

Best wishes cc