Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

I am a post doc of biomedical science, worrying about the future career path

P

Hi all

I am so lost about my future career path, hoping that someone could give me some advices.
As I said I am working as a post doc in a lab. I have been working on the same university/institute since I started my phd, however I still don't get any publication as first aurthur yet due to the patent issue. I know that this is gonna take forever to publish my data although the data maybe interesting. The post doc project I am working now is again strongly related the same compound that I used in my phd project and likely could end up with the same situation (no publication). I have also been looking for jobs in industry but have no reply although I had one year working experience in pharmaceutical company before I started my phd. I understand how competitive in industry nowadays, but I am so confused now, I don't know what to do next. I am capable to relocate to any city in the world for my career and also kin on working in both industry and academy area. It is only that I am so scared that I will be stuck in situation that one post doc after another post doc, taking 20 yrs still nowhere closed to lectureship.

Thank you very much for reading the message

T

I think we are all going to be stuck in the postdoc after postdoc boat for a while!

I would say keep looking for jobs and consider looking for your next postdoc in a different place so that you can get some publications.

N

There is a webchat about staying or leaving in academia tomorrow which may be of interest?

Academic and non-academic career advice for PhD graduates can also be found on:
I hope these are helpful resources,
Nathalie

M

Like a lot of people, I have learned to lower my expectations of my career and just try to get as much out of whatever work I can get. These days it is a win just to be in work.

A

I would like to join too.
I have finished my first draft of the thesis excluding one chapter and then just got so unmotivated. It feels like I am stuck and I cannot finish my thesis although it is just one chapter left. Please everybody else share how is it going for you and if you have been committed to this idea.