Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

I need a big slap

I haven't done any work for ages now - please slap me around the face, it may help to dislodge the 'devil sneaks' who is perched on my shoulder saying "you can do it tomorrow, no one will know you're just lazing about...."

AAARRRGH!

C

err SLAP!....Did that help?

You probably needed a break anyway, it motivates you to work harder after a long break. :-)

SLAAAAP!!!
ok now my turn, but I might need to be hit by a giant cartoon hammer.

T

I need one too, anybody got a great big Timmy Mallet style thing they can lob at me?

S

KADOOSH! :$

K

I'd like one too if they're going spare.

G

I think today is just not a good day for working....

Yeah, I can relate to this feeling! I blame the recent bank holidays - friends going off having a good time have led me into bad ways.

Slaps all round! Back to work we must go!

T

Well I just got my big slap :-(

Finally had a journal interested in my paper and "reviewer 2" basically rejected the study as a piece of trash.

Reviewer 1 meanwhile wrote an entire paragraph about how right and relevant the whole thing was - starting to feel that peer review is indeed a big fat joke.

S

hi sneaks!!!!
so you haven't done any work for ages--but you've helped me a lot!!! every time I posted something...me and my regression, data etc.etc.
so what are you working on now.......:-) :-) :-)
love
satchi

J

give yourself a proper break, with no worries about what you ought to be doing, you will then come back revitalised and ready to go, and what is more you will probably find those little grey cells have been working all the time, just in secret, and the minute you are ready to start again they will spring into action and give you loads of new insights etc. So no slappage, a nice pillow to curl up with, a nice cup of something, a favourite biscuit ot two/ a film/indulging in a hobby or something for a while will do you the world of good, you will soon get back into wanting to do some work, be like the bunny in the caramel advert, you know it makes sense! :-)

I know what it is - its the work I've got to do. Its qualitative analysis and its SOOOO dull, it feels like such a slog. I'm itching to get onto other stuff which I will be much more enthusiastic about, but at the mo just really bored :-(

Am going to try and get a bit more done this morning and start really early tomorrow.

M

I'm more of a carrot than a stick person. So rewards are the key :) Sometimes even the prospect of a reward AFTER I finish a dull task isn't even enough so I've started finding rewards 'during' the task. Like promising myself a cup of tea to accompany re-reading a horrible paper. Or mix it up a little: try wearing something different like formal wear or sitting underneath the kitchen table :)

I've tried rewards - but I have no self control, so just end up with the reward without doing the work.

I'm working slightly better today because of a change of scenery - I'm working on my laptop on the sofa. Maybe I just needed a change!

S

hi sneaks! did u have a good day today
:-) love satchi