Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

interested in a Phd in Aphasia and other Language disorders

K

I would like to do a Phd in Aphasia and Language disorders (dyslexia, dysarthria etc). I have an MA in general linguistics and an Msc in Neurolinguistics. Could anyone direct me to the appropriate sector or insitution..Thanks my email is kenez14@gmail.com

B

University of Birmingham has an excellent cognitive neuropsychology group within the psych department.

B.x

K

thanks bobby..i'll give it a short.

C

Also you could try Manchester. It has a Neuroscience and Aphasia Research Unit within the school of psychology. PLus it's a great city too.

V

Oh for godsake, how can people like you not notice that such PhDs would be advertised on this very site?!!

Btw dyslexia isn't just about language.

E
B

Oi VeryPoor don't be so mean! I think a question like this is not asking literally where you CAN do certain PhDs but more for the experience of others about the reputations of good research groups etc.

V

No the OP asked about where they can do a PhD, the person didn't mention experience at all. I'm not being mean, I'm being truthful and actually helpful because this person somehow did not work out that the whole point of this site is to advertise PhDs. Which is annoying, because there's loads of of such enquiries here but how can someone not release what this site is about? It called findaphd for starters!

As for my dyslexia comment, I am dyslexic so I know what I'm talking about. It actually isn't a disorder at all and calling it such is could be viewed as offensive. It's a different way of thinking, which involves memory and sometimes mathematical skills as well.

B

Hi VeryPoor. I appreciate sometimes some comments/questions can be a little annoying. But there are MANY MANY types of dyslexia actually which ARE considered a disorder. Not all dyslexias are developemtal, as I'm assuming you have. Dyslexia (Surface dyslexia, deep dyslexia, graphic dyslexia etc etc) can be a consquence of physical changes in the brain (i.e., Stroke, head trauma). Please don't be so sensitive. This is a ligitimate area of study and within that area the dyslexias are known as language disorders. Nobody in the field is being insensitve to you. What do you suggest, that every one stops researching the area so we don't upset people? Or should we just go crazy and change the names of everything least we cause offence to ANYONE? Its political correctness gone mad.

I don't mean to be rude to you in this by the way, I just feel that there can be too much aggression on this site.