Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Jobseekers Allowance - Anyone else claiming whilst writing up?

M

I have just got an extension on my PhD for three months, as a part time registered student. So I am guessing that now means I can claim jobseekers allowance (because I am not a registered full time student anymore)?

Has anyone got any advice, or in the same situation?

J

You should be fine: anything less than 15 hours a week means you are still "looking for work" and therefore eligible. I assume you're not being paid for your part-time writing up?

But from experience get the JSA interview arranged now - today if possible. You won't believe how incompetent the system is. When I was made redundant it was 6 months before they looked at my case, and only then cos I got my local MP involved.

S

Presumably you keep quiet about the writing up part. That said, you need to get your council tax exemption.

M

Yes haven't had any money since March so pretty skint, I thought I should be able to declare it as it is part time? (I am not too good at lying)

To the person who said "you have to be acitively seeking work"...Of course I am, don't intend to be unemployed for the rest of my life =;O)

J

Yeah, I had to bring cut-outs of jobs that I'd applied for...but to be honest most of the staff are not that interested. What a lousy place that jobcentre was. By the way you should be able to get Housing Benefit too.

M

Sounds good, I will get myself down there. As I don't see the point in not claiming when I am eligible now. It will certainly help with the bills.

S

Absolutely. It's money you're entitled to.

M

Just been for an interview with them. They won't give me any money but will pay my contributions because I live with someone. So looks like I will still be on the breadline.

I am in mixed minds whether it is worth the hassle to sign on every two weeks for that (after all I damn sure I don't intend to rely on the state pension when I am 60?)

What do you reckon is there more to contributions than pension?

Grrr I need a job and to finish this PhD.

M

Thankyou for your useful advice there MistaG. Are you normally so helpful?

M

Then I don't think you would a good tax accountant...Loopholes are there to be taken advantage of myself.

At the moment I can still work full time on my PhD and I am still actively seeking work. Waiting to hear about a very promising position

If I am entitled to something is there any reason to stop me applying? Why would it send the wrong message to a future employer?

G

Yes I was wondering why future employers would be that interested that someone claimed JSA benefit once. I'm also wondering how a future employers would find out?

M

> Also, I don't think many PhD students have entered their studies with the mindset of trying to 'exploit' the system (by that I mean, I don't think their intentions would be "if I don't finish in my 3 year time period, I'll just sign on for extra cash").

Well I can tell you I certainly didn't. If I had someone offering me a full time job in my field right now I would snap their hand off. I am just about to send off another application this evening and have chased another up which I went for an interview with last week. I have to be sucessful at some point

Continued....(apparently message was too big for one post)

M

I really don't see what the big issue with employers finding out MistaG, perhaps you can enlighten me? It isn't anything to be embarassed about. Some of us are lucky and just breeze through life. Others aren't. Surely it is better to show you are pro-active rather than sitting at home starving to death because you think it might damage your career?

As it is at the moment I am going to get my national insurance contributions paid. I really don't see what is morally wrong with it?

G

Neither do I Mistake..see what the big issue is that is. I don't think I'd want to work for anyone who thought it was 'wrong' to claim a benefit that I was legally and also morally entitled to. What else would they have issues with....sick pay? I'm intrigued where you are getting all this form MistaG. How do you know bigger corporations have issue employing an individual who may have claimed JSA benefit?

J

MistaG, it's not as easy to find a part time McJob as you may think. A lot of employers in places like McDonalds or pubs/clubs won't take on highly qualified people becuase they assume (correctly) that they'll take off again as soon as a career opportunity shows up. I can't see anything "disgusting" about claiming if you are genuinely trying to find work - what's the alternative? Starve?