Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Microbial Biotechnology

G

Iam a kenyan and have completed an Msc. in Microbiology and have interests in pursuing my Phd in Microbial biotechnology. How can i get an opportunity for research studentship. My contact is ewekesah@yahoo.com

S

shall we send him an email?

F

Thanks to the wonders of google, you to can own Vitalis Wafula Wekesa's thesis, see:
http://www.tesionline.it/default/tesi.asp?idt=14898

S

Good spot, here goes:

Nineteen strains of pathogenic fungi were tested in the laboratory to determine their pathogenecity to adult Tetranychus evansi. All the fungal strains were pathogenic to the mite and Beauveria bassiana strains caused mortality ranging between 55.6 to 74.3% while Metarhizium anisopliae strains caused mortality ranging between 18.1 to 73.1%. The LT50 for the most active B. bassiana and M. anisopliae strains was 4.6 and 3.9 days respectively. The LC50 for the most active B. bassiana strain was 1.1 × 107 conidia ml-1 while the LC50 for the most active strain of M. anisopliae was 0.7 ×107 conidia ml-1. The effect of pathogenic fungal infection on developmental stages of T. evansi was studied in the laboratory using one strain of B. bassiana and M. anisopliae. Mortality was low in larvae, protonymph and deutonymph at all concentrations tested between each treatment.

S

oh yes, and..

Mortality in all stages was dose-dependent with the highest mortality occurring at 1 x 108 conidia ml-1. Egg hatchability was also tested under various concentrations of 0, 3 ×106, 1 × 107and 1 × 108 conidia ml-1 and was found to be dose-dependent with lowest hatchability occurring at 1 × 108 conidia ml-1. M. anisopliae strain ICIPE 78 and B. bassiana strain GPK significantly reduced the fecundity of female T. evansi in comparison to the control treatment.