Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

PhD at Reykjavik University

V

======= Date Modified 17 Jun 2011 12:46:26 =======
Hello, I have been admitted to the PhD programme at Reykjavik University. Can anyone provide me with an insight into the university, Icelandic culture etc?Thank you

S

congrats on getting onto the PhD programme. I don't have much advice with regards to the university but I have been to Reykjavik a couple of times and it is one of my all time favourite cities. I'm v envious! It is very small considering it's the capital but it is full of character and really beautiful, as is the whole country which I'm sure you'll explore once your there. I don't know what to say about the culture other than there's a lot of interesting history and the Icelanders like to party and can drink most people under the table! Sorry, not much help but I'm sure you will have a wonderful time there.

C

Icelandic is a beautiful language. Most (daresay, all) Icelanders will speak English in addition to Icelandic as well as Danish. Learning Icelandic would be super fun and allow you to pronounce the names of friends and colleagues properly ;)

I'm very jealous! Have a great time!

Nordic nations generally speak and write English really well so I am sure you will be under very little pressure to learn the native language. But since you are there for a 3 or 4 year PhD there would be plenty of time to learn. Have fun!

V

======= Date Modified 18 Jun 2011 04:35:08 =======
Hey Scottishkelpie!Thanks a bunch for the reply! I do have plans to explore the country. Hope I can squeeze that in during my programme :-) I bought guidebooks and have already circled in a couple of places.

Thanks a lot Chrisrolinski!!! I had a look at Icelandic!Looks tough!!! But the university has courses for beginners. I shall definitely try and learn the language :-)

C

http://icelandiconline.is/

That is a really good resource. I used it for a bit in the past. I speak Swedish and they share some of the vocab.

D

I don't know much about the uni but it's a lovely country. It's very clean and pristine with a lovely landscape that you can explore with lots of activities to do. You get a discount to the Blue Lagoon (an outdoor heated swimming pool which is a damned lagoon heated by the excess heat from the geothermal power station behind) with your Icelandic uni student card which is a bonus as that's a lovely place. Eating out is expensive but a lot better once you avoid the tourist places. Most of the population lives in Reykjavik which is quite small but then again the country doesn't have a large population.