Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

PhD Skills

Ok I put together my CV last week and spurred on by the thread on PhD identity, I want to have some more things to put on it!

Specifically I want to put down what skills my PhD has given me - particularly transferrable skills (i.e. not so much that I have learnt about a specific technique).

So far I have things like presentation skills, written/verbal communication...

Any others????

My uni breaks "transferable skills" down into the following categories:

Research Skills & Awareness
Ethics & Social Understanding
Communication Skills
Personal Effectiveness/Development
Career Management
Entrepreneurship & Innovation
Team Working & Leadership

a bit vague I know but hope it helps a little :-)

Thanks Ev, what do you think would come under each heading?

I want my CV to be understandable to thickos basically, so really need to spell it out. i.e. not 'research skills' but 'research skills, including.....blah blah'

The Uni have a PDF which elaborates on these headings - I can send it to you if you like?

ooh yes please, I'll PM you!

G

Sneaks! The best strategy is to think carefully about what have you learnt after your PhD experience rather then going for fancy, strong words which even someone with a 3rd will have on their CVs. A short personal statement etc...

W

======= Date Modified 26 May 2010 17:26:52 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
Sneaks, there are some example CVs here for PhD students: *Edited by Mods- Advertising*

Quote From goodboy:

Sneaks! The best strategy is to think carefully about what have you learnt after your PhD experience rather then going for fancy, strong words which even someone with a 3rd will have on their CVs. A short personal statement etc...

erm....procrastination?

Sent that on to you Sneaks - best of luck getting the CV together!

I

I cannot believe no one made reference to Napoleon Dynamite, which is criminal in a thread title with the word skills in it! So I will:

Napoleon Dynamite: Well, nobody's going to go out with *me*!
Pedro: Have you asked anybody yet?
Napoleon Dynamite: No, but who would? I don't even have any good skills.
Pedro: What do you mean?
Napoleon Dynamite: You know, like nunchuku skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.
Pedro: Aren't you pretty good at drawing, like animals and warriors and stuff?
Napoleon Dynamite: Yes... probably the best that I know of.
Pedro: Just draw a picture of the girl you want to take out... and give it to her for like a gift or something.
Napoleon Dynamite: That's a pretty good idea.

D

1. Ability to work independently.

3. Skills related to project management (planning, organizing, goal setting, problem solving, analytical skills etc) .

C

Something to think about, isn't it?

Ability to work independently, but also as a team player when needed
Ability to communicate research to a scientific audience, but also to non-scientists
Position of responsibility and leadership (e.g. when helping out undergrads)
Ability to plan and organise experiments
Time management
Ability to solve problems....