Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Please rate my chance of getting a PHD place.

I

Hi everyone.

I graduated with 2:1 in a biological science in 2007. Since then I spent 2007 - 2009 working in a clinical diagnostic lab for the NHS. I then decided I want to become a teacher as the main area of my job I enjoyed was teaching students. I spent a year doing a subject knowledge enhancement course from October 2009 to June 2010 in chemistry with the Open Uni. I was going to work in some local schools during this course but due to personal problems I was unable to. I got onto a PGCE course with the Open University that was due to start this month but all of the schools in my area are full with students from the local universities.

I have decided recently that I would prefer to do a PHD. A PHD was my first choice when I was at uni but I was offered a job in a lab before I graduated so took the guarenteed job.

I am worried that the gap between me finishing working in the lab (july 2009 till now) even though I did this Open Uni course will count against me. I was going to work during this course in schools like I said but circumstances prevented me doing this.

Can you tell me what my chances are?

D

A "nonstandard" entry (i.e. not just straight after a first/masters degree and getting work experience) is quite common these days - the only thing you would perhaps need to show in science is that you are up to date with the latests goings on, given that science changes quite rapidly - although your enhancement course would probably show that you have some of this.

Don't worry too much about having the gap, as long as you are able to explain why and show your commitment to doing a PhD it shouldn't be held against you.

I can't be sure, having never met you, but I'd think your chances are pretty good, depending on how you interview and your references. A 2:1 is generally sufficient for a PhD, and you have the advantage of ywo years' lab experience, which I think is crucial - good laboratory practice cannot be learned overnight. I don't think the gap will count against you, as you've explained it well here.

Good luck!!

I

Hi everyone I have made contact with a Professor who has sent me some papers to look through. What would be the next best thing to do? I want to proceed. Shall I email him saying I would like to apply? What should be my next step?