Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Publications and authorship

S

Being new on this forum, I have a difficult question. I would like to submit a paper for review to an academic journal without telling my supervisor. He did not provide input to this paper but I'd like to include him as second author. My problem is that I would only like to ask him if he accepts to be listed as an author as soon as I have the feedback from reviewers and know if there is any chance for publication after revisions are made. Is it generally possible to submit a paper as a single author and then later add another author before the paper is finally accepted??

J

why do you want to add him only if it accepted?

S

Basically to avoid face loss. He might also think I'm trying to walk before I can crawl so I'd like to have a statement of the editors that it might be publishable to show him when I actually ask him if it's okay to add him as second author. I think he would be angry if it got accepted and he wouldn't be author but he might also be angry if I ask him if I can try to publish and he thinks it's rubbish and I should focus on PhD. It's basically a dilemma.

U

My supervisor supported me and encouraged me to submit publications as much as possible. It's very useful feedback from the reviewers either way and if you are successful it gives a great confidence boost. Rejection can be very dissappointing as well so it's worth having your supervisor's opinion on the likelihood of success. I would therefore advise you to inform him/her about your intentions. Maybe the work is good enough for a conference. Good journals take A LOT of work. But if your work is journal standard, your supervisor will recommend that.

It is normally expected to add your supervisor as an author (even if they dont always contribute much !). Also having them on your side is also useful so that publication fees are paid.

I'm at the end of year 3, and think a conference paper before transfer helped alot, and a journal (i have been told) will help the viva process greatly.

HTH

A

Do not even think about submitting a paper with your supervisors name listed as an author without his approval. This could land you in big trouble. One, it's dishonest as by your own admission your supervisor has not contributed to this paper and two, that aside, it's not the done thing to submit work attributed to someone if they have not consented to the submission. In fact, you will usually have to agree to a statement that all authors agree to the submission and vouch for the validity of the work, which clearly you will be unable to do.

E

i will agree with Ann. always ask your suprvisor`s feedback before submiting sthing in public, especially if you want to add his/her name as well.

Y

If your paper is accepted, you'll need to pay fees......at this point, you may need your supervisor!

T

Your supervisor will also be able to give you (hopefully!) some good advice regarding article content and style etc.

Y

True, and your supervisor may spot some errors in your paper too!
(My supervisor did spot couple mistakes in my manuscript...)

S

Thank you for your suggestions. Did not plan to add his name without his consent, though. Just planned to submit as single author, ask him later if he agrees to be listed, and then add his name. But as you all suggested, I better ask him for feedback straight away and to hear his opinion on the matter. Unfortunately I reckon he will advise to wait a couple of years and publish after PhD.

S

hey silver, well, even if your sup advises against it, you can still submit it (not in secret though,i wouldn't). can't you just tell him that you would really like to try and have hopes it could work and want to learn from the experience? whereas your sup's opinion is important, so is yours, and if he doesn't give you a reason that convinces you, you should insist on him at least considering your reasons. sometimes sups are glad to see their students actually thought about stuff and aren't just coming with questions, expecting definite answers...

C

Hi Silver,
I am new to the forum, but when I read your message I felt I had to reply.
I am very much in the same situation with my supervisor. She would behave in the same way. Presenting papers at conferences? You have done that already. You want to publish something? There is plenty of time! Actually, You work too much and should take a holiday!
As you can see you are not the only one with this problem. I am not going to surrender so easily though!

F

Good luck with the paper, I hope your supervisor is very receptive and gives you so helpful comments on your paper.