Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Repetitious thesis

T

Hello anyone still on here who has written their thesis already/recently... I'm doing mine in the alternative format (ie. three papers in my case - not necessarily published but in paper format). I'm finding that the intro to each paper is quite similar... I'm copying quite large parts over from the previous paper intro and changing the wording and structure a bit. I guess this is normal as the same main arguments form the basis for the three studies?! Or am I missing something...

T

Do you need an introduction if it's going to be the same? I would say no, but I wrote a traditional thesis with three very different data chapters so I don't know for sure. I definitely don't think you should copy it. I think you should paraphrase at the very least. Imagine if you did publish it Presumably you wouldn't have three introductions saying the same thing?

T

Yes, it needs an overall intro and a discussion (and will have the papers in the middle).

When I say I am copying it in, I mean I copy it in and then change it - it is the same facts just hashed up in a different way (it definitely would not be plagiarism - I am changing things enough for that). I see no other way to justify each study. The intros do differ a lot more as they get down to the final paragraphs and describing the present study and the nitty gritty - but several sections are always the same story - it is the same overarching ideas that make the rationale for the 3 studies. :/

T

I would say that's ok then, I don't see what else you could do.

T

Yeh I was thinking maybe I had to be really creative and try to introduce in a radically different way each time. Probably wouldn't do much for the coherence of the overall thesis. Cheers Tree of Life

P

Quote From Tudor_Queen:
Yes, it needs an overall intro and a discussion (and will have the papers in the middle).

When I say I am copying it in, I mean I copy it in and then change it - it is the same facts just hashed up in a different way (it definitely would not be plagiarism - I am changing things enough for that). I see no other way to justify each study. The intros do differ a lot more as they get down to the final paragraphs and describing the present study and the nitty gritty - but several sections are always the same story - it is the same overarching ideas that make the rationale for the 3 studies. :/

Be careful about repetition in a thesis. A colleague of mine did that and it risks seriously pissing off your examiner as it did in that case.

T

Thanks! I'll do my best but there's only so much I can change.