Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Research Assistant - route to pHD?

K

Hi

I would love to do a pHD in avian ecology. However, my tutor says that most pHD students have a Masters distinction. I am trying really hard but am not going to get it.

I am confused about research assistant positions. I understand that they are paid and on a contract. If I apply for an assistant job and work for a few years will I be considered along with the distinction students?

K

Hi, I guess an MA/Msc dist. helps, but I know several PhD students who don't actually have a masters. I think it's more arts/humanities subjects where funding is scarce and competition is more fierce.

With regard to the RA thing... yes, it can be a route to a PhD. You'd be a contracted staff member, but can be simultaneously registered for a PhD at your manager's discretion (provided they're happy for the RA work to form a Phd and that it's sufficiently original). There are pros and cons. RAs tend to progress faster than 100% PHD students - they can be privy to conferences and meetings otherwise inaccessible to students.

However funding can be an issue. RA jobs are often fixed term posts and not be long enough to cover minimun registration period for a PhD (3 years in UK). You can find yourself without funding or struggling on a lower income for the last part. The key thing is to get an RA manager who is fully aware fo PhD regulations and can act adequately as a PhD supervisor.

M

Hi,

Most research assistant posts are for post-doc only (as they will work alonside the professor and have vast amount of knowledge in that area of research). The jobs you need to look for are research techicians , but you would need at least 1 year experience in that field , but it is a well-paid job.

Anyway, Good luck, hope this have helped you in finding the right path

K

"Most research assistant posts are for post-doc only"

Not true - research *associate* is usually post-doc (but not always) - research fellow certainly is, but assistantships typically don't demand a PhD (not in the UK anyway). Nomenclature can vary from place to place, granted. Going for a research technician job may be OK but is not generally seen as an academic trajectory if you want a PhD. Personally I think that would be a tangential move.

Best bet is to see if you get invited to interview for some Research Assistant posts, and ask the interviewers if it is possible for the Research Assistant project work to count towards a PhD.

S

As Krondike says. I have 2 friends who got their PhDs while working as research assistants.

But I'm not sure that that is what you were thinking of - it reads to me as though you want to apply for a funded PhD using the work experience in place of a Masters. I'm surprised you need a distinction rather than a merit - does your tutor know the competition in your chosen field? Perhaps that is the case if competition is fierce (it was the case in my field which is a borderline humanities/science area).

I

this is the route I've taken. I had some reservations at the interview in terms of doing a full-time PhD in tandem with the assistantship, but was assured it could be done. there are certain perks involved too, but what i will say is be prepared to dedicate your life to it, as you may not enjoy the same flexibility as myself. I knew i was prepared to literally eat, sleep and breathe this for 3-4 years, so talk to those concerned until you have a good picture in your head and can make an informed decision. good luck

E

Hey,
your tutor may be wrong about you needing a distinction. I'm due to start a PhD. in a similar field to yours in oct. I'm still an undergrad at the moment and on course for a 2i so I'd be surprised if you'd need a master distinction to get on to a PhD., what did you get for your first degree? If you can show you're really enthusiastic and dedicated to the field, grades may be less important.
Good luck!

M

emsie,

But you prob went to Cambridge or Oxford , thats why you dont need a master (just a 2.1). And are you off to a less prestigious uni as well, because it would make all the difference

S

No masters - it's common to go straight from 2i to PhD without a masters - especially in science. A masters can make you more competitive though and is becoming more necessary for some subjects - espeically those with especially competitve funding.

E

no, actually I'm at St Andrews at the moment and the PhD is at Glasgow - so probably about the same level in terms of prestige (I think). You're probably right though, the university you go may may have some bearing on your chances.

R

Don't worry about the Masters distinction. Focus on doing a research project which is relevant to the field you hope to do a Phd in and make sure its good science that you can discuss at length at an interview, they will always ask you! Don't skimp on the more practical stuff either... Go out and do bird surveys, get a ringing licence, BTO nest monitoring. It shows the ultra keen from those just going through the academic motions.

R

Finally, definately try to get a research assistant job. You'll probably be on the minimum wage but it'll get your face known in the department. You'll be able to harp on to your hearts content about how keen you are to do a Phd and people will respect you putting in the hours. This is how I got my Phd.
Avian ecology is just about the most sought after area in conservation sci. The competition is extraordinary and I know the people in my department who've got these projects are often quite a bit older and have had jobs with the RSPB etc first. Think carefull whether a related phd... although not necessarily birdy.. will still get you where you want to be.