Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Should i quit?

N

In my third year, i had to change my phd supervisor. I have started in a new group couple of months ago but can not concentrate in my new group. I feel like mentally drained out, i feel I can't do this for another five years. But deep down i really want to do my phD. I'm in my thirties now. Did someone had similar experience? Should I quit now?

H

Quote From Naj18:
In my third year, i had to change my phd supervisor. I have started in a new group couple of months ago but can not concentrate in my new group. I feel like mentally drained out, i feel I can't do this for another five years. But deep down i really want to do my phD. I'm in my thirties now. Did someone had similar experience? Should I quit now?

Hi there,
Going on what your last post said, it seems you have enough work done for a publication. That sounds brilliant and you should try to get one paper published at least.
I also read that you weren't getting on well with your previous supervisor but you have now changed supervisor, is that right? You are also lucky to get the chance to change supervisor I am sure it's not an easy transition but it must be better than your previous situation?
And you also say that you love your research topic and you really want to do this PhD. I think that's probably the most important part of doing a Ph.D you need to have the interest to be motivated. And you are!
So I think you should maybe make a list of the pros and cons to help you decide what to do next. There are also some really good threads on here that might be useful for you to read through to help you make a decision on whether you want to carry on or not.
I am also in my third year of my Ph.D. and I have felt mentally drained every minute of it. I have also cried more often than id like to admit, for feeling like I can't do it and wanting to quit. But I haven't because I don't know if I will ever get another opportunity like it, plus I like the idea of being a 'Dr', even if no one outside academia will get it :).
So try and listen to your gut what do you want more a PhD or an easy life? And whatever you decide to do I wish you the best of luck with it!

T

Quote From Naj18:

It's an emotional burnout and all you need is a rest. Take a break from studying if it's possible and try to change the environment.

O

I wanted to quit so bad, so many times. The life of a PhD is lonely, difficult and heartbreakingly draining. BUT - I wanted to complete under all of that, and I got help. I reach out beyond my university and got a coach. We checked in weekly, and he kept me accountable and things improved DRASTICALLY!! Lemme know if you want me to connect you!