Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Studentships: always "short-listed" but never selected.

A

======= Date Modified 13 22 2009 03:22:51 =======
======= Date Modified 13 21 2009 03:21:47 =======
Dear friends,

I have been applying for several studentships I have found in the web without any success. I have been "short-listed" but not selected two times now and I must admit, that makes me feel really disappointed in myself. Both times I have been told that I was the 2nd option after the top-ranked candidate.

I think it is pretty strange to be short-listed all the time but never selected. Do you know if is a common practice for the professors to lie about the non-successful candidates being "the 2nd choice" and "short-listed" just because they don't want to discourage you from trying once more somewhere else?

I really need to know. Please help.

R

I think it can happen a lot in academia that researchers get funding for a phd and they may already have a student in mind for the position but will need to advertise and interview for the position. So in some cases the process can be rather underhanded but in most instances it probably is just the case that better candidates have indeed applied for a position. Some fields appear to be a lot more competitive than others. It very much seems to be the case that a first class honours degree in a physcial science based subject will effectively allow that person to walk into phd studentship ( in most cases) because so much money is invested in science and engineering research and there are so few qualified candidates willing to take up studentships in favour of better paid and potentially less demanding occupations in industry or otherwise.

whereas in the Arts all but the very best of the best will get any kind of funding because there is so little to dish out. I know someone with distinction from oxbridge who is just about rapping up their PHD and this person has had to finally support themselves by working at the local supermarket in addtion to the PhD studies just to keep above water. It really makes one think!!!

R

I forgot to add good luck with your applications :-) just keep trying!!! One thing I would say is dont necessarily jump on the first PhD studentship you get offered without doing your homework. Always remind yourself that although the PhD project can appear very exciting it is something you will have to eat,sleep and walk and talk for 3-4 years.

How have you been preparing for interviews? It helps if you have clearly thought out why you want to do a PhD, how undertaking a phd will benefit your future career and what skills and knowledge you bring to the table that a supervisor will want. Think about it

Also it helps if you have read up on the research group you are applying to. Know exactly what they are all about. Read some of their papers which will give you some discussion points for your interview. If anything this will cleary demonstrate your interest in their research and massage their ego's which can score big brownie points!!!

If you are not making any headway with applications despite your best efforts then you should consider alternative routes like doing a masters in this feild or working in a relevant job for a while or maybe even a research assistant position?

since i graduated a few years ago ive been offered 5 PhD studentships so i do think the advice ive offered is sound enough

good luck 8-)

P

Hello ACruz

I'm in the final stages of my PhD-- and I have a CASE studentship.

In my case, I was selected above the other applicants as I was the only candidate to have had a research methods masters from a top 5 university (I also have another MSc in an area of psychology) . I was very lucky as I was only up against 5 other candidates. If they had advertised via jobs.ac.uk for example (rather than the university website) I don't think I would have stood a chance (I have a 2.2 degree)!

Throughout my application and my interview, I wrote about my extensive skills with research methods and my research experience which happended to be very relevant to the PhD project. Prior to the interview, I read up on my supervisors publications (who were interviewing) to show that I had some awareness of their work and that I was exicted to have the potential to work with them etc etc.

The key for my application was the following; I really had to defend my weaknesses; focusing on my academic strengths (performance at my 2 MScs); focusing on my research experience (and how relevant it was to the PhD); reading up on recent relevant publications as well as my supervisors publications; discussing my skills in relation to the PhD; trying to appear committed to the PhD by talking about what they could offer me if I was selected (supervison, student perks etc etc).

I'm not sure this is of any help- but good luck with your application!

R

Hi ACruz, I'm sure it is disappointing but I think you should keep trying! This has only happened twice, so I don't think you can say "always short-listed" just yet!!! It sounds like you were very close both times - I don't see why they would lie to you, if they are not offering you a studentship then they have no ties to you, so what could they possibly gain by lying to you? Imagine if you were applying for jobs, most people have to do several job interviews before they get a job, I think it is probably pretty rare to get the first job (or the first studentship) that you interview for.

So, chin up and keep trying - third time lucky hopefully!!!