Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

summary or conclusion?

C

======= Date Modified 02 05 2009 17:05:11 =======
In what way is a summary different from a conclusion? I am trying to polish off a second draft of a chapter and have been told that the earlier draft "conclusion" was more of a summary....

....do I need to be more ambitious and bold in a conclusion, apologies for this inane question, but I am a bit confused and tired here!

I suppose a summary, is literally, "I have spoken about this this and this, and also this" whereas a conclusion is "I have spoken about this this and this, and also this BUT I think that they are rubbish because of this and that leads me to conclude blah blah"

sorry that wasn't very specific, but I think a conclusion needs to perhaps have a definite 'side taking' rather than sitting on the fence and just reporting the facts.

P

======= Date Modified 02 Nov 2009 17:13:21 =======
Conclusion includes the "what does it mean and what are the wider implications" and I agree with Sneaks, also takes sides with a certain interpretation, i.e., no fence-sitting:-)

N

in addition to reporting what you found..in the conclusion you have to answer the "so what"

V

The conclusion chapter in doctoral theses is MORE than just a summary. Among other things, it needs to Remind readers what the research was all about, Tell readers what was discovered by the research, Sell the scholarly merit of the research ~ in an appropriate academic manner, and, Leave readers with a positive appreciation of the research that has been undertaken. It represents the final window of understanding into the thesis for readers.

S

Not sure what subject you're in. But (in Politics) a conclusion is where you verbally draw the argument together. It kinda should be what the previous sections were leading upto and should be a synthesis of the little arguments that were in each section to a larger overarching argument (possibly in the case of a thesis, it will involve linking the little arguments of the chapter to the argument running through the entire thesis.)

Not sure if that's relevant. If not, have a (mince)

B

Quote From nabugh:

in addition to reporting what you found..in the conclusion you have to answer the "so what"

Absolutely. What I was told over and over again by my supervisors. What's the point of what I've done, what's the point of what I found out. Not just what did I find out.

A

Hi Chrisrolinski.. lol.. it looks like its not just me having problems with conclusions

C

I did write this post six months ago for a conclusion to a chapter. Still, I am writing the thesis conclusion this weekend (second draft) so the appearance of this was timely. Thanks all. :)