Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

unsure if i should put in a conference abstract

Y

I'm in a bit of a quandry about what I should do about an international conference I really want to go to in December, but the abstract deadline is the end of this week. I've written the abstract but I don't have any firm data to put in it as i'm only 6 months into my PhD and I've only really worked out what I'm doing in the last few weeks. There will be data by December but not in time for the abstract deadline. I only want to present a poster. Is it worth trying to put the abstract in? Or should i give in and wait til I have some data in 2nd year?
Any advice would be really helpful

yes, go for it.

L

I would definately put an abstract in. Your abstract only needs to give people an idea of what you are going to be covering. I know alot of people who submit abstract to present results they think they'll have by the time of the conference

J

Yes, I did exactly what Laney describes. Was a bit of a gamble but it worked out fine; a poster doesn't need to say too much.

K

In my first year I was allowed to put in an abstract for a poster, but not an oral presentation because I didnt have firm data at the time of abstract submission. I think it depends on the conference organisers how much they are bothered by lack of firm data, but I reckon it's worth putting it in anyway and seeing what they say - good luck!

T

I had this problem for a conference poster last year, which also needed an attached paper for the proceedings which had to be in very early. I did it as a methodology paper, and didn't include any results in that. I had some results by the time I made the poster though, so included them there.

A

It will depend on your field and how popular the conferences is i.e. if they get loads of abstract submissions then they can afford to be more selective. The 'data will be presented' kind of thing doesn't go down too well in science fields. However, nothing ventured, nothing gained so it's always worth having a go! Good luck!

G

Go for it!! Even if you dont get expected results, am sure you can find a way to present them for the benefit of the community ......Its one of the many arts you learn in grad school!!

F

Another one saying go for it. Good luck!

Y

Thanks guys. I've taken the chance and submitted the abstract today. All I can do now is sit, wait, and see if they like it enough to accept it.