Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Viva Nightmare - Major Corrections

G

Hi Everyone,

I recently sat my viva. I was quite positive and upbeat about the whole thing before hand, I had done test runs with other members of my group and the feedback was positive. On the day I was informed that there was a good chance I was fighting for major corrections. I did not even really believe this and was still psyched to get minor corrections.

I met my extern before hand but his body language seemed quite stand offish, at this point I was starting to get a little concerned. I gave my presentation and we started the questioning. To begin I think I defended it well, but eventually I began to feel the questioning was going badly. I really felt like I was getting a grilling. Most of the questions were fair I think and I had made some silly mistakes which were included, which I felt made me look amateurish. But for the most part I believed the work was there as I have had some smaller publications and a journal publication with my major contribution. But by the time we got to the evaluation, I was exhausted and was finding it difficult to engage with the examiners. I began to find it hard to give coherent answers to questions. In all it took nearly four hours.

At the end I went outside and then came back in. I was told that I had major corrections, the outcome of which could still be a fail, a masters, minor corrections or a pass. I didn't feel the intern or extern had much positive to say about it though. The chair was good enough to say I shouldn't feel down as I had put up a spirited defense.

I have worked on my thesis for over four years and have poured blood and sweat into it. The thought of not achieving a Ph.D at this point is terrifying to me. I have really lost faith in the entire system, because I was allowed to come this far without ever being warned that my work was unsatisfactory. How else can one judge other than publications etc.?

I feel extremely depressed. I am going to put the work in, but I have no idea how much they now expect (waiting on a report). The idea that I could spend another six months on this and still get a masters is really worrying to me. Has anyone else had major corrections and felt they might not pass and has either passed or has failed? What is the likely hood of a failure after doing major corrections? I just need some idea of my chances to get a phd as the uncertainty is killing me.

Guy.

D

I'm not best placed to advise as I haven't reached that point but I just wanted to lend you my support. Remember, you're closer to the finish line than before. Have a talk with your supervisors and pay careful attention to the feedback you get from them but pay particular attention to the feedback you got, and will get, from the examiners. You'll have some work ahead of you and although you've had a soul destroying experience, try to put it to one side and focus on the task in hand. If you do everything the examiners tell you in the feedback it will stand you in good stead. I'm sure the uncertainty is killing you as it's a terrible position to be in. I feel for you...

All the very best - chin up!

D

Wait until you see your examiners' report before stressing too much further - it might not be as much work as you think. Is it just major corrections without another viva? If so, then keep optimistic and make sure you address each of the points on the report.

I know it's easy to lose faith but keep it going, you've come this far, you've done good work but it just needs a little bit of polish.

G

Thanks Delta and DanB for your replies.

DanB, there is no other Viva, but the chair did make clear that there were still four possible outcomes and that is what has me worried.

I have already begun to make a list of how I should address the points made during the viva. I am more than open to make any and all corrections that are needed. I understand many of their points and I am willing to improve it. In retrospect I should have been more open and discursive with them, but I find it hard to maintain my concentration after about two hours as I am quite thin and my blood sugar level generally begins to drop very fast, and so was not able to think as rationally as I could have. Even now I am thinking of many of the points they made and how I could have been clearer and gone into far more depth regarding my approach...this all adds to my worries.

The thought of it being rejected though even after addressing the report fully is something I can't get out of my mind...I have only been able to eat a piece of toast and a piece of fruit since the viva (two days ago) and my sleep has been continually broken up with intense anxiety attacks. I honestly cannot face getting out of bed today.

S

OMG I so feel for you :-( I can totally understand how you're feeling right now, I guess this is the stuff of nightmares for all of us. Please though, listen to the others, try not to stress too much (I know....) until you have seen the report. Could it be that the chair has to say what he said? A four hour viva is just uncalled for, that is ridiculous, you can't maintain clarity of thought and energy under fire for that long, its just impossible.

Go with the report - for goodness sake eat something, you need your strength and you need to keep well to handle this. Have you met with your sup yet? If so what did he/she say? I totally understand your anger about this too - your sup should never have allowed submission if it was likely to result in this. Its the one thing mine has promised me, unless he is pretty much certain of a pass he won't allow submission...

Guy, get up, get a shower, get something to eat and think positive. Fight the panic until you've seen that godforesaken report and had a chance to speak in depth with your sup then just get your head down and go for it. All isn't lost - major corrections can easily end up at a PhD, you didn't get an outright fail so you're still in the game. I'm just so sorry you're in this position xxx

I haven't gone through this experience-not doing doctorate but Masters- so I can't help you with a personal story at all. However, I read your account in this way: the examiners would have been obliged to state the four possible outcomes but that does not mean they are all likely.

What I mean is...there is still a really good chance that you will pass...but they are listing the possibilities because they have to. Of the four outcomes two are good and one is okayish. Only one is the fail and based on your viva performance-it sounds like you have the strength to continue and to take on board their comments. There is a very strong likelihood of you achieving either the pass or the minor corrections. I can imagine that the thought of the Masters is disappointing but it is at least something. The fail is probably not likely given your attitude and hard work.

It really sounds like you have been through a difficult and confronting experience and absolutely understandable for you to respond in the way you have. But from a neutral perspective-it might not be as bad as you think right now. Maybe have a short break to relax and 'regroup' and then systematically go back and tackle the issues they have listed. Best of luck and best wishes(gift)

B

Three fellow students in my department were referred for resubmission in the last few years. Two resubmitted successfully within the year allowed and have since completed and graduated. The third has had to have extensions to allow for extra research and writing time, but I am still hopeful they will get the PhD. But the other two are safely through.

Good luck. I echo the advice of the other people to try not to stress too much until you get the examiners' report. Even then try to keep calm. The report is sort of like a contract between you and them. They should set out what you need to do to fix things. You do that. Good result.

B

Hello Guy

I don't have any personal experience to offer, but wanted to wish you luck. Your confidence has been (understandably) knocked, but you must have faith in your work and abilities now more than ever. I truly believe that confidence is the most important attribute a person can have no matter what the situation. I am never less assertive or more stupid than when I am lacking confidence. It's a difficult task but it is clearly very possible for you to achieve your goal, or else you would have failed. Of course it's possible for you to do major corrections and fail, but there is no reason at all (other than understandable but not quite rational fear, of course) for you to overstate that possibility. You say you need some idea of your chances to get a PhD, but nobody here is more qualified to evaluate your abilities than you. Regain your self-belief and you can answer that question for yourself.

Good luck (up)

K

Hey Guy, I really feel for you...it must be soul-destroying to get do far, want to get it over with and then still have uncertainty hanging over you. I was always told that major revisions was still a pass, and it was the dreaded revise and resubmit that could still end in a fail/MPhil. Perhaps it is different at different unis. I think the fact that you don't need another viva is encouraging. I had a friend get a revise and resubmit a year or so ago (completely unexpected by him and his supervisors) and he resubmitted and had graduated just last month, so it can certainly be done! And four hours sounds horrific. I did hear a rumour in our department that vivas were going to be limited to two hours in the future, but I don't know how much truth there is in that! Either way, you haven't failed or been given an M-Phil, which must mean that the content and potential for a PhD is there, so do your best to keep going and I'm sure you will get there. Best wishes, KB

G

Hey Everyone,

Thanks a lot for all your support. I really appreciate it. I will keep you up to date on how things progress. In the mean time I am going to take a short holiday and hopefully the report will be ready when I return and I can set about addressing the issues systematically.

Guy.

D

A very sensible idea. Try and just get it off your mind and enjoy your break, ready to face it head on when you get back.

B

Hello Guy, how are you doing now? Have you got the report? I really feel for you - I came across your post when Googling "lost my confidence after viva," as this is exactly what's just happened to me!
My viva was last week. It's a Creative Writing PhD, which involves a novel and thesis. The novel was shortlisted for a prestigious national award and my supervisors expected no problems with this part - but the examiners pulled it to shreds. They also had problems with the thesis which surprised my supervisor too.
The viva itself was worse than I'd expected - I'd been told they were not aggressive or confrontational, but this certainly was. I rarely got the chance to complete a full sentence before the examiners interrupted and around the mid-way point I was convinced they were going to fail me, so I think my performance really crumbled.
So now I'm waiting for a report too. I also have revisions with a 12-month timescale. I feel utterly destroyed, in spite of all the consoling messages - the worst thing is that I've lost confidence in my creative writing, which I love so much.
I think it's a crazy, unfair, subjective process.
Let me know where things are with you now.
Best wishes
BarbaraH

G

Hey BarbaraH,

Sorry to hear you got a grilling as well. It's a horrible process I agree. I imagine in creative writing it is even more subjective than my own area which is a science. If your novel has been short listed for an award though I don't think I would be too worried. It sounds like you have already become a success in your field, so it is good to remember that. Take heart in you achievements and build on those. Whatever you do though, don't let the viva harm your love for writing, that is a precious thing!

I hope the process is a fair one (although my confidence in it right now is still very shaken), in which case it should just be a matter of doing the revisions. For me, I am still waiting on the report so I am in a kind of limbo really...I have other research I would have been enjoying doing had I finished, but it is hard to focus without the report, so I feel untethered at the moment.

All the best,

Guy.

M

I have a friend who was unexpectedly handed a major corrections decision to the total shock of the whole dept let alone him and his supervisor. But he was given a YEAR to complete the corrections which he did and he passed. He's graduating this December with a very well earned PhD.

Thus - major corrections doesn't necessarily mean the end. My buddy was distraught when he was told it was MC and even more upset to find another year's worth of work to do but somehow he did it (albeit with weekly threats of jacking it in). He says he made a pact with himself that he wasn't going to leave without what he came for and he followed through on that. It's worth the blood, sweat and tears he says.

B

Three students in my department were given resubmissions/major corrections at around the same time. All were given a year to resubmit in. Of those two managed it within that timescale, and have successfully graduated some time ago. The other has had to have extensions for various reasons, but is still working towards completing the PhD. So think positive thoughts.

Another student in my department was failed outright at her viva, which was a bombshell shock to the department, and to my then supervisor who was her supervisor. At least with major corrections / resubmission you have another chance, and the examiners should tell you what you need to fix.