Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

What do you guys think?

J
P

I dont think that having a public defense is going to make everything better as the article implies (win-win situation). Whilst I am scared of my viva, I think it will be great to talk to someone who knows what my work is about and I can go into details about things. I am not sure that would be the case in a public defense, when suddenly it becomes relevant that the public audience understands the thesis/work. Plus you then have to worry about sorting people/parents out, before and after the event... just on a practical level, mmm? (down) About the ritual side of things, well, yes, it is nice if you go out for a drink/meal after your viva, and in my department, most people do that... but I guess without that it might be a bit sad..
I dont mind the current system- that's my two cents worth!

======= Date Modified 10 Mar 2010 15:21:03 =======
I would be in favour IF it made them feel guilty for failing you! My friend is spanish and had a public viva, she said it was lovely to have everyone there - but I guess anyone who passes would say the same. Can you imagine failing in front of a room of friends and family - the shame! Although maybe you could have members in the audience who could have 'answers' about the research and could convey it in a 'who wants to be a millionaire' coughing type scenario.

"ahem, it was a positivist stance, ahem ahem"

A

what a load of chuff!! my french boyf, who comes froma country where public defense is the norm has absolutely no thought for the ceremony and 'rite of passage' vibe that goes along with getting his phd, he doesnt even want to go to the graduation cos it's a waste of time - after all, the only thing that matters is the qualification. Well, that's what he says, personally I can't wait to fire on the fancy gown and go the ceremony and have the ceremony at the end, and I don't feel that my enjoyment of it is lessened by the fact that it's not a public examination! I prefer to let the celebrations wait until it's all finally done, as after the viva there are corrections, resubmission of the fianl thesis and only then is the *final* document in hand! Plus I don't imagine I'll be in a fit state to properly enjoy myself straight after the viva, I know several students who have felt like it was all a bit of an anti climax and they'd rather head home and just forget about it! :-)

B

i held my msc defense in public. it depends with area of study

algaequeen - I think, i may be wrong that many of these countries have corrections BEFORE the viva. So you send your thesis in, you get it back with corrections, you do corrections and then have the viva. I would much prefer that!