Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

What would you do differently?

D

Of course, one shouldn't live in the past...but if you could go back and do ONE thing differently in your PhD program, what would it be?

M

To stop procrastinating

D

Knowing what I know now, I would have committed my supervisors to regular supervision with feedback to be provided at supervision (I only got feedback at one supervision and even then it was minimal). My difficulties began and ended with my supervisors. Actually really nice people but as supervisors the least said...

D

Knowing what I know now, I would have committed my supervisors to regular supervision with feedback to be provided at supervision (I only got feedback at one supervision and even then it was minimal). My difficulties began and ended with my supervisors. Actually really nice people but as supervisors the least said...

L

I would have written more in my first year, like more contextual stuff. I also spent a lot of time looking at articles online then making written notes which I am now kicking myself for SO HARD! I wish I'd just typed straight into a word document so I could've cut and pasted now! Doh!

L

Quote From delta:

I think that is shocking Delta... I am late to your difficulties with your supervisors but I think you have done so, so well to obtain your PhD with the complete lack of supervision you have received. If anything, it makes you deserve the PhD even more as you've obviously done it with very little help!

W

Going on what Delta has said.
I have a friend having major problems with their supervisor: Make sure you get the relationship you want with your supervisor sorted in the first year.

D

It seems like the poor supervision issue is pervasive. I realize now how lucky I have been, as I know of some candidates who quit because of it. Wondering what can be done to help people in such situations.

S

Having just finished writing my thesis, I definitely wish I had learnt latex instead of relying on microsoft word! people kept telling me to do it, and I ignored them, thinking I would have loads of time to get round to it.... needless to say, I didn't have time and spent many an hour cursing word as it reformatted all my tables for no reason yet again!!

D

Yes, same here! I was using Open Office and it didn't occur to me until my tables were all over the place.

B

I'd have written all my notes in organised word files so I could copy and paste bits of them! I'm in the process of writing up now and I have notebooks all over the place and am spending half my time looking for bits and pieces and copy typing! It's very annoying!

:-)

B

======= Date Modified 27 Feb 2012 19:44:29 =======
Duplicate Post

L

Quote From Busybee:

I'd have written all my notes in organised word files so I could copy and paste bits of them! I'm in the process of writing up now and I have notebooks all over the place and am spending half my time looking for bits and pieces and copy typing! It's very annoying!

:-)
You poor thing! Fortunately, I hate writing by hand and so have been doing this.

C

I wish I'd planned my project with future career in mind. There are a couple of things I could have done but didn't that would have made it easier to get a job afterwards. Ok I do now have a job, but in the future these things that I still can't do and probab;y won't get to do during this postdoc that would help me in my next move.

I

Taken more responsibility, earlier, for the project.

I wanted to be seen as a good student, so dutifully followed everything my supervisors said. I am sure that with many supervisors, this wouldn't have been a problem at all! But my supervisors were both 'detail' people, and in concentrating on a small part of the research, the project lost sight of the wider aims and objectives. I also became overwhelmed by the original scope of the project, and feel I could have been firmer, earlier, in saying that the scope would have to be revised.

Eventually I got another supervisor with a more strategic view of the project. I also made a point of reading other PhDs on related topics, and this gave me a series of reference points as to how my own PhD should be structured, and what the scope should be.

I am not suggesting that students should not listen to their supervisors; I do listen to my new supervisor, who is good, and even my other supervisors can give good advice. I just wish I had taken more responsibility for my thesis much, much earlier.