Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

When do/did you know about the date of the viva?

J

Hi All,

My thesis have just despatched to my examiners yesterday. How long do you wait till you know the viva date?
The feeling that my work is now in the hands of my examiners. looking at it, overviewing it, skimming the pages is scary!! Now all what I think of is that they are now spotting the mistakes which adds more worries and scariness.

Past and prospective viva takers, please share your experience with us. When, where and how did you know about your viva and how did u feel the moment you knew?

S

Mine was set 5 months after submission, but i found out A month later than i actually submitted because no one communicated to the examiner from the graduate office that i had submitted, i was more annoyed when i found out it was that long to wait, and to make it worse it was cancelled due to snow, even though i had already travelled there at great expense, and resulted in it being held a month later.

J

Scaredgirl
I am in a similar position. It has been now 2 months since submission and it was only yesterday the examiners were appointeda nd I guess they need 2 more months for the viva.
After all of this have u had ur viva yet?

N

i was halfway through writing my thesis and then i got a date! my supervisor was like right we need t oget a move on...

J

OOPS
that was a bad timing !

M

In our university the viva must be held within two months of submission unless there are extenuating circumstances (eg. the preferred external examiner isn't available until three months after submission) Often the date is roughly agreed before the thesis is finally submitted officially.

D

At our uni you have submit an 'intention to submit' form which appoints your examiner and alerts the examiner that a thesis will be arriving withint a few weeks. Once submitted vivas have to happen within 3 months

A

I submitted and waited 8 weeks for the date which was for four weeks following. So, three months from submission.

How did I feel? A combination of utter dread and hope that I would soon be moving onto the next stage!

J

Angel
8 weeks !! i can't wait that long. My supervisor told me that my examiners is thinking of mid march but haven't been goven a specific date yet. Hope it wont be 8 weeks which means one or two weeks before viva :-(

DrSeeker
we have that too which approves the thesis title and appoint the examiners. I did that 9 months ago but my supervisor was very busy until I pressed on him to appoint the examiners which only happened last week :-(

Mathkitty
I wish we had ur system. At least you are able to plan everything very well instead of just waiting too long or too short

J

at 12:30 just before I close my eyes to sleep in my bed, my blackberry rang with the customised tone I sat up for my supervisor's emails. I opened the message and it was the viva date. I couldn't sleep that night. I felt it was like tomorrow the viva.:-(

M

Aw that's horrible! My sup contacts me at all hours/days too. Though he has gotten better by phoning my work phone instead. Maybe he lost my mobile number... That would be great!