Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

When do you get your thesis professionally proof read?

H

Hi,

I'm just wondering at which stage specifically you get your thesis professionally proof read?

Is it just before submission after your supervisors have given the go ahead to submit, or is it before you submit the first full draft?

T

I never did, but if I did, I would probably do it before I printed the hard bound copy.

H

Quote From TreeofLife:
I never did, but if I did, I would probably do it before I printed the hard bound copy.

Thanks, so that's just before submission. I wasn't planning to but my supervisor has already said he'll not be editing my thesis, so it'll be good to get someone else to look over it.

T

Actually I mean before you print the final version, so after your viva and then after your corrections have been signed off. If you do it before the viva, you may have a lot of revisions to make and it's easy to introduce new mistakes when you are making your corrections.

H

Quote From TreeofLife:
Actually I mean before you print the final version, so after your viva and then after your corrections have been signed off. If you do it before the viva, you may have a lot of revisions to make and it's easy to introduce new mistakes when you are making your corrections.

That's a good point. But I don't know if I'll have the confidence to submit thesis for examination without it being proof read. Maybe I should budget for both, especially if I get a lot of corrections.

T

You shouldn't make any changes once corrections have been accepted.

T

Quote From Thesisfun:
You shouldn't make any changes once corrections have been accepted.

Sure, no material changes, but I think it's fine to correct typos or insert a word where its been missed. Plus, no-one is going know anyway...

T

No one is going to know..... But why take the risk as theoretically the thesis you officially submit is not the one that was examined.

Also- if its been examined and acceptable, what is the point paying for proof-reading?

T

Personally I'm not sure there is much point in paying for proofreading at all, but I am a bit of a perfectionist and would rather my thesis didn't have errors in it. I don't mind if the examiner finds errors, but I would rather they weren't in the hard bound copy.

Z

Quote From Hugh:
Quote From TreeofLife:

That's a good point. But I don't know if I'll have the confidence to submit thesis for examination without it being proof read. Maybe I should budget for both, especially if I get a lot of corrections.

This is why I am getting it proof read after my supervisor has seen a draft and after I have made any amendments before final submission. At least I can go in with the confidence then that it is as polished as possible before the examiners see it.

H

Quote From Zutterfly:

This is why I am getting it proof read after my supervisor has seen a draft and after I have made any amendments before final submission. At least I can go in with the confidence then that it is as polished as possible before the examiners see it.

That sounds like a plan I'll follow too :)