Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

working in france

A

hi guys,

I have decided that when I finish the old PhD I want to take a trip to Peru for 6-8 weeks, as I put off travelling when I finished my undergrad course to do the PhD and everyone told me it's better to travel when you've got the phd etc etc etc. It's not really a big travelling excursion, just an extended holiday really, but I was hoping to apply for postdoc jobs in France when I finish as mr algaeqeen is there. I have since been told that if I take this time off then it will be impossible to get a job in France, as it will look really bad on my CV, as if I will come across as being an irresponsible layabout or something who doesn't care a toss about academia.....does anyone know if this is true?! I find it a bit hard to believe that a holiday after finishing a phd will have such a negative impact on my employability within an entire country, but I jsut wanted to check in case anyone knows about it.....I have a feeling it might be a last ditch attempt to stop me going off gallavanting and having fun without said mr algaequeen....

Q

Not really the same, but maybe it might help you.... A friend of me went on a 4 week holiday to Mexico just after having become registered nurse and after that holiday she started applying for jobs as nurse. For some time she was as well thinking what to say about those weeks and then decided to declare them as language course.... although she just learned some words Spanish during that time and those by chance... Thus maybe dont declare a 6-8 weeks trip to Peru as holiday but give in another purpose...

T

I don't see that it would hold you back. How are they to know that you hadn't spent those two months turning down other posts until this perfect one came along? Or making minor corrections, or organising your move to France? 6-8 weeks is nothing in the grand scheme. Besides, far better to take the break you need and come to work fresh. If you've got the funds then I say go for it.

A

that's totally what i was think of teek, but I am a bit on the chatty side it seems and it's likely after a while starting a new job I'll be telling everyone about my fab trip in Peru!! :-) I like the idea of a language course though qwert, after 6 weeks I'm sure I'd have picked up enough Spanish to blag it! :D I think it's a bit unreasonable to not hire someone cos they took a break after the phd, I didn't even get holidays in the last 2 summers before i started it either so I definitely think I'm due one! Plus from what I hear it's hard enough to get a job when we are finished so I may as well enjoy 2 months of unemployment!

T

I really wouldn't worry Algae. I'd far rather have a candidate who said "I achieved my phd goals and then took the trip I've always wanted, now I'm here because I want to be" rather than some burned-out student who desperately grabbed the first job while still making corrections. And to be honest, while learning Spanish is constructive, it's no more relevant to academic ambitions than taking a holiday! If you'd spent two years on the dole then yes, you'd look like a layabout, but choosing to take a break post-phd is just sensible, in my humblest of opinions.

Disclaimer - any opinions expressed by Teek on the subject of Latin/South American travel are likely utterly biased, given her own wish to travel there extensively. (She herself is rubbish at Spanish but very much enjoys trying to learn it)

N

Hey Algaequeen,

Well I should know (for applying for tons of jobs in France a while ago) that they will most certainly ask you to account for any gaps on your CV. That being said, 6-8 weeks is shorter than the schools' summer breaks in France, so there is a chance (especially if it's during the summer months) that they might forget.

I'm sure most people would agree with what Teek said below, but would go for something safer, along those lines: holidays maybe, but linguistic experience, opening up to other cultures etc... The linguistic thing is absolutely great, especially if your native language is English. I take it you speak French (no offence, but meeting an English person who speaks French is already rare enough to be amazing by French standards), but adding a third language should really impress your prospective employers, not matter the relevance to your post.

Perhaps even charity work? I mean if you actually do it - LOTS of places are looking for volunteers in Peru, and it's all the more interesting (if they do short missions) as they provide free accommodation, and you really get to meet the locals. Just saying, because that's morally acceptable everywhere, and could be good for your budget and make the whole experience even better (if that's your sort of thing, of course).

Hope that helps a bit!