Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Difference between a Choose-Your-Own-Topic PhD and a pre-set, pre-funded PhD?

I'm applying for what looks like a great PhD position to do with sustainable food consumption. It's a project that has received several million euro in funding for a group of academics to undertake and they're advertising a funded position for a PhD to join the project. All parts of it seem to be planned out, so I'd be just doing as I'm told for 4 years.
However, the range of studies involved, the skills I'll have at the end, and the area of research are so good that I feel like it's worth the lack of freedom.
What are your opinions on these sorts of positions? Will I be more employable having been attached to a real research group?
Thanks!

D

Superb opportunity if you can get it!

H

Quote From sustainablefoodie:
I'm applying for what looks like a great PhD position to do with sustainable food consumption. It's a project that has received several million euro in funding for a group of academics to undertake and they're advertising a funded position for a PhD to join the project. All parts of it seem to be planned out, so I'd be just doing as I'm told for 4 years.
However, the range of studies involved, the skills I'll have at the end, and the area of research are so good that I feel like it's worth the lack of freedom.
What are your opinions on these sorts of positions? Will I be more employable having been attached to a real research group?
Thanks!

Yes! In a way a pre-set pre-focused PhD is much better, because it means you are focused straight from the start!

C

Sounds like a good opportunity, and there might be a chance to put your own stamp on it as well - research rarely pans out in exactly predictable ways, so who knows what interesting results you might get and what angle you might end up taking within the bigger project!

Thanks for the the replies, everyone! Helpful to see other people thinking the same as me.

T

Just to add to others... My PhD was pre-planned and we've just changed it. It was also connected to a larger project (whole set of related projects). As long as the titles stays the same it should be OK, or so I've heard.

P

Yes, I def recommend it. My PhD was pre-specified meaning all the collaborating institutions and patient recruitment organisations were already on-board. Meant I could get right into the research and plan to finish in 3 years.

S

hi foodie, absolutely go for it!!!
:-)
love satchi