Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

I want to do a phd = where do i go from here please?

T

Hello wise people.

I am looking to do a PHD. I know what universities are researching my area and have my eye on a lady who is actually moving to a uni in my town where i live currently in Jan 2018. She has done research on the topic (which is very new) in her own field, not mine. I was wondering if it's possible to approach her and someone from my own department to take me on in combination for a phd?

my main question, however is 'how do i go about getting the ball rolling'? Do i just email someone i like the look of, see if they are taking on PHD students, tell them a bit about my topic and then see if they "invite" me to make an application?

Also, my MA finishes in September. When would a potential PHD start, or is this negotiable?

Any general guidance is also welcome. Thanks!

B

Hi Trin,

I would make the approach. I have been applying for PhDs and now have two offers. I researched to find appropriately qualified supervisors in my field and emailed them my proposal. Once they expressed interest I submitted a formal application via the relevant website.

There seem to be different start dates - I am starting October 2018. I have been speaking at length with a post-doctoral lecturer at a University and he has advised:

1. Get a really well qualified supervisor - ideally you need 2 supervisors. Someone who is not a newly qualified Dr
2. Try (as best you can) and choose someone who is likely to around for the whole length of your studies - some people apparently get left high and dry if the supervisor moves on.

N

T

Quote From Trin:
I was wondering if it's possible to approach her and someone from my own department to take me on in combination for a phd?

my main question, however is 'how do i go about getting the ball rolling'? Do i just email someone i like the look of, see if they are taking on PHD students, tell them a bit about my topic and then see if they "invite" me to make an application?

It is definitely possible (and good) to approach the person you would like to supervise your PhD.

Also - it is especially good to help set up a new collaboration (i.e., between the two potential supervisors from different departments).

Good luck!

T

Quote From Trin:
I was wondering if it's possible to approach her and someone from my own department to take me on in combination for a phd?

It is definitely possible (and good) to approach the person you would like to supervise your PhD.

Also - it is especially good to help set up a new collaboration (i.e., between the two potential supervisors from different departments).

Good luck!

C

I've been trying to find a PhD (or rather the funding) to start in 2018. My experience is that contacting a potential supervisor to discuss your research topic is encouraged, and often a prerequisite prior to an application to the university. The only exception is Oxford, where you are only encouraged to look through the research interest of the academic staff, but not to contact any of them directly, and the university will assign a supervisory team once your application has been accepted.

I think the starting dates for most universities (the ones I've looked at anyway) are Sept/Oct and January. If you are looking for a fully funded place, the deadlines for most RC funded places are in Jan/early Feb for a start in Sept/Oct, so make sure you get your applications in on time if you want to start in 2018. Otherwise you must be prepared to take a year out and wait for the next round of RC funding applications, unless you are lucky enough to come across some funded projects being advertised. They are like gold dust in the social sciences field though.

L

'how do i go about getting the ball rolling'? Do i just email someone i like the look of, see if they are taking on PHD students, tell them a bit about my topic and then see if they "invite" me to make an application?
First you need a research proposal. If you need help let me know.