Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Bad news and feeling disheartened

E

Hi Gals and Guys,

I got my application in to Warwick to do a 1+3 Sociology/Women's Studies PhD (I already have an MA but it's not recognised by ESRC)... I was really pleased with myself for getting the 5000 word proposal done, and the 3 applications forms that went with it - whilst working full time and having a toddler to contend with! I have just checked my emails and have got one saying that the ESRC met recently and my application for funding was unsuccessful :( I didn't even know the app was going to the ESRC - I thought that came later once Warwick had made their decision. Now I feel really, really down about it and am not sure what I am going to do. I will rely on funding if I am to do a PhD.
I have also applied for the Warwick scholarship, so there's still a chance, but this has really knocked my confidence. My job is crap at the mo too, and my PhD was a kind of get-out clause - which now obvioulsy isn't looking too hopeful.
Not much you can help me with really, but just wanted a moan and to get it out as I am sat in an office on my own!
Thanks for listening
Emma

T

Sorry to hear that Emma, how rubbish! Don't feel it reflacts badly on you or your proposal though, the fact is there are just so many applications for every scrap of funding just now, lots of perfectly viable projects will be getting turned down. I know that doesn't change the situation, it's still very crap. Fingers crossed for you for that scholarship.

M

======= Date Modified 15 Mar 2010 14:20:19 =======
Hi Emma, I'm really sorry to hear that. I didn't get funding either and I know how frustrating and worrying it is. I'm wishing you lots of luck with the scholarship award. Try not to feel disheartened because it really is so competitive. x

S

Hi Emma

So sorry to read your news, I've been there and got the same tshirt - twice... It doesn't reflect on you in the slightest, its just as the others say there is so much competition and its whether what you propose is their current 'thing'. Fingers tightly crossed for the scholarship, I got one from my uni and although its nothing like a funding offer it helps a bit. Take care and I hope you get some good news soon

E

Thanks for your words of support - it's nice to know I am not alone :)

Still waiting to hear about the scholarship, trying to think positively.... :p

I'm amazed that you were able to put an ESRC bid together yourself! My sup did all that for me - I wouldn't have a clue, so well done! My sup applies for about 20 grants a year from the ESRC and has only had about 4 actually come off over about 8 years, so don't worry. I'm sure there will be loads of opportunities out there. Keep an eye on other unis as well in that area.

E

ah Sneaks, I must not let you continue to think I am some kind of application genius... all I did was state on my uni application that I would be applying to ESRC, and then submitted a 5000 word research proposal. I then got the email saying that although I had been nominated, I had been unsuccessful. So, I was actually unaware that my application would go straight to the ESRC board - the uni just nominated me and passed it on. :$ I was expecting to have to do something separate, but it seems not.... :p