Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

MSc grades and PhD funding

H

Hi I'm currently studying for an MSc in psychology. I did the course to improve on the 2:1 i got at degree and to get better knowledge of psych (as did BSc joint hons) with a view to going on to do a PhD. The thing is I don't think I'm going to to get a very good grade, should pass but just. So my question is: Is there any chance of getting PhD funding (ESRC or studentship) without either a 1st at degree or distinction at MSc? and Is there any point persueing a PhD if you don't get funding? Is it in any way frowned upon to self fund (particularly in academia)? This is all leading me to feel that the time and money spent on the Masters may have been wasted.
Any info/ opinions greatly appreciated, thanks

H

Hello, I'm doing a Phd after getting a 2.2 for my undergraduate course and then just missing a distinction for my Masters. I am also fully funded including a CASE award.

G

I don't know what subjects all you 2.2ers and Master's passers are in but in my game [Computing] its almost 100% obligatory to have a 1st AND a Masters with Distinction [I'm told]. Obviously less studentships in Computing.

S

I would guess that a good proposal, personal statement and first class dissertation may give you a shot against those with slightly better results. Personally, I would be pretty naffed-off if a university sifted its applications purely on degree class/Masters class alone.

Some unis don't pay too much attention to a First but instead prioritise the dissertation as an indicator of a candidate's research potential. It is possible to get through with a 2:1 although I freely admit that you are at disadvantage unless you can impress them with other things.

W

Hmmm Im kinda curious about this too as I have a 2:1 Degree and a Pass in My MRes ( Research masters) Ive just been granted an interview for an ESRC funded PhD so cant completely rule you out but as its in Pharmacy and not all that different from my masters thesis which I assume counts for a bit but guess its different depending on subject!!

I

Hi Hamster - I spoke to the PhD administrator for education at sussex last summer and she said that usually you need a 1st and a distinction but she has seen people get funding with fantastic references.