Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

PhD funding for NHS consultant already on substantive post.

Hi all.
I am aware that this question could come very naive but had anyone in this large group have applied for a PhD after having become a consultant in the NHS? I am aware that the path in the UK is extremely hard/difficult once you reach a substantial consultant position, although in the rest of Europe this is not considered such a foolish choice! I am a consultant anaesthetist close to finish a MSc at UCL, in London, and considering the opportunity to do a full time PhD afterwards in the UK. Comments/ suggestions/advice on how this could be achievable are welcome. Thanks.

It is doable.

With the constant doctor shortages you will most likely find a job afterwards. Most supervisor would love to get a hard working PhD student with a track record like yourself. You can find an already funded project that interests you or you can apply for funding yourself. The only problem I see is do you want 3 years of poor pay and long hours? It is a big commitment and do you really want to quit a good job for the student life? If so there should be no problem.

P

I'm a bit confused here. What path is extremely hard/difficult once you reach a substantial consultant position?