Desperate for funding and out of options?

H

Are you an international student? That could explain the 13K fees.

H

Oh I've just looked at the course and its over 6K fees per year.

I think you are quite mad to do a 2 year Masters course, you might as well make that 3 and find a funded PhD instead.

L

hi very poor, for a start, research councils consider funding for masters from 2:2 upwards, unlike phds which is 2:1 upwards, however in both cases there is always exceptions, which as you seen from one of my threads.

it might help, if you say where you been and actually where you want to go (as in future goals) to get practicle help here, a str8 forward question saying "i want funding" doesnt go down to well here.

things might seem bleak and impossible at the moment, but once you set your goals, they can be done. my only advice is dont be going down the postgraduate route for the sake of it, go down it because you know what you want to do and you are not going to let anything get in the way.

S

verypoor, you say you can't get a loan because you don't work. did you think about working your way through your masters? you could get a part-time job and study at the same time. if you are lucky (get a good job and don't live in london) you might not have to work all too much to get by, and thus could still study full time.

are you aware that the fees can usually be paid in installments? it is still a lot of money but seems eminently more doable if you don't feel you need to pay all at once.

K

I think as it was said before, apply to a MSc Microbiology that has less fees and possibly funding....

Logical? Yes.

O

I think shani's last point was EXTREMELY important! You can usually pay your masters in at least two instalments (e.g. one in September and one in February). Which means you could definitely get a loan now which covers the first instalment and then get another one in 2008.

V

leigh1 no it is not possible to get funding with a 2:2 in science from a rsearch council. If you're sure I'm wrong tell me the research council which will give such funding as I never found one. Reread the first post to see the goal was to do a MSc in medical microbiology (hence adking for advice on funding it).

Anyway; I found out not long after I started the thread I got accepted to do MSc in Medical and Molecular Microbiology at Manchester. (I accepted there was no way to fund the course at Surrey so I sent an email as a last attempt to find if Manchester will take me). It'll eat away most of a career development loan but hopefully I'll somehow manage. To shani, I'll definitely look for work during my masters, but in order to get a personal loan I would have be working now and start paying it back straight away. With a career development loan I'll pay it back 2 months after the course ends.

I

Have you enquired at your uni as to what other scholarships they offer?
Try the Finance office.

ilovebdt

N

hey very poor , i am a current student of MSc Medical and molecular biology at manchester finishing this sep and let me tell u , the course is very tough and requires all ur concentration , at all times...

i guess doing a part time is very difficult as all my fellow classmates quit the part time jobs as they cud not manage the course work and jobs...so think abt it..all the best!!

V

Hi thanks for the advice. I suspected that might be the case...if so hopefully I'll be able to secure holiday work.

S

Heya!!I have got an admit into the Univ of Warwick for a "taught" masters course.But a little bit of ill-luck and hence,was rejected the International Postgrad Award.I am still awaiting the India Postgrad Award,but not really relying on getting that either.I think the preference goes to either PhD or "research" masters courses.
It would be very helpful if I could know of any fellowship or bursary I can apply to,as my tuition AND accomodation fees are quite pricey!! ;-/

Thanx!!

G

I thinks thats probably one for the University (Dept.) you've applied at. They're most likely to be aware of suchlike.

R

the original post says it is an enhanced course. so it might be expensive then??

you should be a local student as you said you do not wrok. most of the international students work here at least part time. if you are then speak to the banks in your country.
good luck