Do all Universities in the UK offer distinction?

B

Hi all

Do all universities in the UK (and indeed around the world) offer distinction as I know people who have received a merit and others who cant get merits and wondered whether some universities dont offer distinctions and it is just pass/fail at masters level?

Also is it pass/fail at PhD level or are there merits and sitinctions there?

thanks all!

I can answer just a little bit about this with regard to Master's levels and Australian universities.

If you do a straight research masters then it is pass or fail just like the Phd. But even to get into the straight research masters in most universities, you would have to have an honours or honours equivalence of H2B or higher.

Sometimes, with a great topic and experience behind you (in your area), you can get into a research masters with just honours-any level- or a pass in a Master's coursework with a passing research paper or minor thesis. (Pass mark here would be 50 to 59- credit is 60 to 69-distinction is 70-79 and High distinction is 80 and above-in almost all universities here-but there are one or two exceptions still).

If however, you want to get into a doctorate (Phd or -in most cases- a professional doctorate) that comes with a RTS (research training scheme scholarship-this pays your otherwise humongous tuition fees but not much else!), you will need either an honours degree or a research masters or a masters that offers a 'substantial' research component-either a minor thesis or research paper. The honours degree, or minor thesis or research paper IS graded and your grades determine the outcome of future research work at uni in doctorates, straight research masters or Mphils.

You have to have the equivalence of H1 (first class or high distinction level) or H2A (distinction level) generally for a Phd and most professional doctorates. H2B (merit level- in Aust. usually known though as a credit when it comes to the actual mark or grade) will get you into research masters and some professional doctorates.

So for example, I did not do honours here (not because I didn't have the grades but because in Aust. it is an extra year and I needed to get a practical qualification in that year as I had a family to support and needed to find relatively reliable work afterwards). So for example now, when I want to do a doctorate, I have had to complete a masters that includes 'a substantial research component' in my case, a minor thesis of 25,000 words. This will be graded, and depending on my grades, will determine what the next step is for me regarding research and qualifications.

I am hoping for a H1 or H2A so that I can easily qualify to do a doctorate ( in my case a professional doctorate part-time while I work). However, if I get a 'merit' or a H2B, I can apply for a pure research masters OR can try to persuade my universities that all my coursework marks and previous work and experience allow me to request an exception to the rule. It's messy though that way, and some of the more 'reputable' universities don't allow even this.

Long answer to a short question- hope it answers some queries regarding Australia. Just one more thing, sometimes Phd's here get prizes. Though the mark is a pass or fail, it is still possible to be given some award for an amazing doctoral project but this is dependent on each universities own prize pool as well.

B

hi all can anyone else offer an insight into this please?

thanks!

R

Hi for the UK as far as I am aware you will be graded pass (50-59%) merit (60-69%) or distinction (70%+) for a masters. This is based on the grading at the uni where I studied my MSc and comments from 3 friends who all studied masters degrees at different universities in the UK. There may however be variations as this example only applies to 4 institutions.

I don't know about merit or distinction at PhD level. I think it's either a pass, pass with minor/major corrections, MPhil or fail.

Hope this helps.

A

I agree with Pixie re: Masters.
As far as I know it's pass or fail for PhDs. I did hear (in the recent past) of a proposal to award merits or grades for PhDs but this was vetoed by the powers that be. However I have seen emails to staff and Heads of Departments (can't remember from what body) asking them to nominate the best PhD of the last year etc.

P

I would imagine you would be hard pressed to get the answer "Yes" to your question, as (probably) no one out there is knowledgeable about the nature of Masters awards in every University in the UK (and the world).

The answer most likely is no, some Universities will offer a pass award only, but others award Pass/Merit/Distinction.

Furthermore, my experience (of UK Universities) is that you must get an average of 70% ... that is, your average grade for every piece of graded work must be 70%. BUT, there is another thing, if there is a taught unit part of the Masters you must average 70% in that, and then get 70% for your dissertation as well (so getting 100% in your taught units, then 50% in your dissertation isn't good enough for distinction - you would receive only a pass!).

Hope this answers your question somewhat.

B

hi all - any more takes on this? I'm after as much info as possible.

thanks all

P

Hi,
At my university in the Midlands you can get a distinction at masters level if you average 70% in all of your marks and a merit if you get over 60%.
At Phd level you just pass with no, major or minor corrections, or fail, or are given a MPhil.

F

No, some unis don't, I know this I'm studying for Masters by research at the University of Central Lancashire and there is only a pass/fail grade.