First Class at BA, potential 2:2 at MA

N

Hi

I graduated last year with a First in International Business Management, all first's in my modules for my final year, decided to do an MA in International Relations and am currently on course for a 2:2.

Not sure if it's because I went to a different uni this time or my brain isn't wired to International Politics but now I regret taking the MA.

Am I a complete failure in terms of achieving excellent marks in my undergrad and extremely poor in my postgrad and will employers look past this?

Thanks

B

Hi,

I didn't do a masters degree so i could be wrong but don't masters degrees use a different grading system to bachelors degrees (distinction, merit etc).

Masters degrees I'm sure must be far more challenging than undergraduate degrees and so you really shouldn't be so hard on yourself. If I was an employer I would be impressed by the fact that the student had taken the time and effort to educate themselves to a higher academic level, and appreciate that masters degrees are more difficult than undergraduate degrees.
I'm sure you have nothing to worry about - you should be proud of your achievements!
:-)

B

Quote From bow:

I didn't do a masters degree so i could be wrong but don't masters degrees use a different grading system to bachelors degrees (distinction, merit etc).

Yes that's right. I've never heard of a postgraduate Masters with a bachelors-style grading system. The original poster needs to check on this. Normally Masters are pass, pass with merit, or pass with distinction. The grades needed to achieve the different levels vary by university.

N

Yeh it's Pass/2:2, Merit/2:1 or Distinction/First, I just meant seeing as I'm on par for a pass is this totally rubbish considering I got a First at BA level? And will this be seen as bad by employers?

C

I think most employers will never ask what grade you got for a masters. I got told by my uni if you get a distinction mention it, but otherwise always just write that you have a masters. It's not about the grades it's what you've learned in terms of skills and knowledge that's important. If they are really bothered they can look at your transcript but I doubt anyone will! As previous posts mention just getting a masters is enough to prove your worth so I wouldn't worry so much about the grades. You're not a failure at all! You're a passer

B

Quote From bow:

Hi,

Masters degrees I'm sure must be far more challenging than undergraduate degrees and so you really shouldn't be so hard on yourself. If I was an employer I would be impressed by the fact that the student had taken the time and effort to educate themselves to a higher academic level, and appreciate that masters degrees are more difficult than undergraduate degrees.
I'm sure you have nothing to worry about - you should be proud of your achievements!

This! The very fact you have undertaken and gained a masters puts you ahead of other potential job applicants, and your disapoointment at not acheiving top marks shows you have a drive and determination to do well, which is also a character trait employers will look for. You are in a great position so don't despair!