Funding a History MA

J

In June I graduated from university with a BA (Hons) History degree with a 2:1. I need to do a History MA (and later a PhD) as I intend on becoming a lecturer, and I need help!

Is there any sort of funding available to me? I'm currently seeking work for between now and September 2008, which is when I hope to do an MA. However, I can only realistically save about £5,000 in that time, which will cover tuition fees but won't cover living expenses at all.

I'm desperate for advice!

Thanks,
JeffJefftyJeff

S

you can apply to a 1+3 from AHRC. that would fund your MA plus your 3 years PhD. intense competition, though!
most people i know took up a loan for their MA/MSc. others do it part-time in two years. that's not too bad - most people I met who did that were quite happy with it!

J

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a 1+3 from AHRC?

S

the AHRC is the "arts and humanities research council". the research councils are the biggest funders for all kind of research in the UK, including at PhD level. i'm sure you'll find their webpage easily through google.
i don't know the details of their funding opportunities as I am in social sciences and therefore more concerned with the ESRC (economic and social science research council). but as i said, assuming it is similar in AHRC and ESRC, they advertise "1+3" studentships which, if you get them, will provide you with a fully funded MA AND a fully funded PhD. fully funded meaning, they will pay your tuition and about 1000£/month towards living costs, and some other perks.

sometimes limited funding is available through your university. when applying for your place, do talk to the department about possibilities for funding!

Jeff,

To apply for a 1+3 you will need to have some idea of what you would do for a PhD, as this makes up a large part of the application. It would be good to get started on the application soon (to apply in 2008) as putting together a good research proposal can be extremely time consuming.

I agree with Shani that applying for an AHRC 1+3 would be your best bet, as masters only funding is hard to come by.

V

Thanks to top up fees unless someone is wealthy they're unlikely too be able to afford all the expensives assoicated with a masters. :(

There are also career development loans. I took out one to pay for my MSc.

Z

If you could be more precise as to what kind of history you intend to study, that would help us. If all else fails, try the Open University as you can pay fees on a monthly basis rather than having to come up with all the money in one go.

T

Hi
you can usually pay your fees monthly instead of in a lump sum, so if you were studying part time over two years you may have to apy aprox £250 per month. (It's how I and lots of others do it)