How Much Do My Exam Results Matter

P

Hi, all new here,

I a recently finished the requirements for a masters in International Relations at a top 3 Russell Group Uni. However, I am concerned about how my exam results might impact my future. As it looks like I might get an ordinary pass only as my overall degree classification.

How would this impact any future plans I have? I don't plan on pursuing a Ph.D. as I don't feel it's in my best interests to do so. However, how would getting a pass impact me should I say-want to pursue another masters degree at a uni in mainland Europe like Science Po or somewhere in the States? Or if I wanted to get a job at a think tank or civil service department? Or if I wanted to get an MBA?

Apologies if this is all wide-ranging but I'm just trying to keep my options open and learn how this issue might impact me for better or worse.

Thank you in advance!

T

A pass is fine at masters level. No one really looks at grades.

It is not the degree that counts, it is the skills. If you have a pass with relevant experience and maybe some references/publications everything will be fine. If you get a pass while sitting on your bum the entire time, it is not good.

You just need to figure out a way to sell yourself and not the grade.

P

Whether or not your grade will be relevant will depend entirely on what the requirements are for the job you are applying for and how many other better qualified candidates are competing with you.

rewt is mostly correct. Of course the degree matters but real experience is significantly more important. If you have good relevant experience and a good degree, you are likely to be a good candidate for an interview.

This is because, the vast majority of jobs do not need particularly high levels of skill which would justify recruiting a PhD or someone with a 1st class hence this move away from demanding only the top grades for those types of roles. To be honest, I don't understand why companies who, for example, require people like human resource administrators, computer programmers or those working on the production facilities of chemical and biochem factories, don't simply hire motivated school leavers and train them up at a fraction of the wage of someone with a 2:2 who quite frankly is going to be just as useful on day one.

I would suggest that those hiring the very best employees for highly skilled roles will be as demanding as ever as regards grades.