Is it stupid/risky careerwise to do a masters in Solar energy after a PhD in different field (Materials Engineering)?

A

Hello Everybody,

I, m currently pursuing my PhD in materials Engineering, and I did my bachelor project and masters in the same sub-specialization, so i kind of got bored with what i am doing, and I got so specialized, that my area is too narrow, with very limited decent companies in the field worldwide, and with uncertain applicability in real commercial market (Industry). So I, m kind of stuck to pursue an academic career back home in Egypt, (which is competitive!), which means to get a decent position, i would probably better do a post doc after the PhD.

Now I,m really interested to switch fields to solar energy, which has a huge potential locally and worldwide. The problem is to get there in this new area after a PhD in a totally diff. major, i would need to study, so a 1 or 2 years masters program is essential for me to jump-start my knowledge in the field. Do you think guys this option is stupid or risky?, in terms of the risk of not getting a job in the new field, plus loosing up or minimizing my opportunities to get a position in my initial specialty in academia, since I will be seen as unstable in my future directions and research interests? Your feedback guys would be really appreciated!

Thank you
Test Regards
Fady

O

It is a risky step, to completely change your field at this point. There is a risk of losing opportunities from your current educational specialization, and may be you may not have a scope after you change your filed. It is advisable to stick to what you are doing, and do it well and excel in it. There is a chance that you may get bored of a new specialization, and then it will be to late to undo things. all the best.

Oortiz makes a fair point and I would be minded of what he says. Normally, I would agree with his sentiments.

However, renewables and green energy (wind as well as solar) is very much a growing sector and in this case, Fady may have a point. If an academic career is not for you, I'd be tempted to look into it and what prospects are available by making the switch. If anything, I'm minded a mixture of the two may improve employability.

Do not take the decision lightly, however, and ensure you have looked into such a switch of subject properly. If you do find you've made a bad move later, I would try to get a few journal publications out of your PhD work so a switch back to Materials is not impossible. Also beware of the professional / continual student tag that may be applied to you by potential employers in the future.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

A

I do realize that the move is risky, so i guess i have to research the move well, I hope i can still find something in the middle. Thank you guys for the valuable advice:-)

Fady