master at 25 years, could i be too old?

S

hello people, i'm new of this forum.
i'm an italian student of aerospace engineering, i've been completing my master of science in aerospace engineering.
i would like to get a uk degree, i thought about cranfield MSc in thermal power cuz i red that big industries such Rolls Royce or General Electric use to do recruiting there.

i'm 24 years old right now and if i join to the master in march (2nd intake) when i will get it i will be 25 years old almoust 26 (but with 2 masters (italian and uk))

could i be too old to find a job in uk?

thanks for your answers

C

25 is not old! - I know many people older than that doing their first Masters course yet alone a second one. :)

I teach on a masters where we have people from 21-55 this year.

D

It's quite common for people to come back to do masters (and even PhDs) later on in life. In fact I used to live with a guy who was studying at Cranfield for a masters and was 30.

J

I was 29 when I did my first Masters (part tiem) and 38 when I did second and was 43 (but a month before my birthday) when I started PhD. There were retired people on both my masters.

S

and also i'm scared to be too old for the recruitment of the industries, i don't know how it works in uk

D

It's fine, salvo. I didn't start my first job until after degree, masters and phd when I was 27. It's nothing to worry about.

N

Like others have said, you definitely aren't too old. I'm finishing my MSc at the moment and was 21 when I started it, but was the youngest on my course by a few years, you seem to get a much bigger age range on postgraduate courses. Sometimes I think I would have done better if I didn't go straight through as well, sounds like you have a lot of work experience to add to your qualifications.

S

ciao Salvo
24years, 25 years is NOT old :-)
you worry too much
love satchi

S

Quote From Natassia:

Like others have said, you definitely aren't too old. I'm finishing my MSc at the moment and was 21 when I started it, but was the youngest on my course by a few years, you seem to get a much bigger age range on postgraduate courses. Sometimes I think I would have done better if I didn't go straight through as well, sounds like you have a lot of work experience to add to your qualifications.

i already have a Msc in aerospace engineering (italian degree: 3 years Bsc + 2 year Msc) but cuz my dream is to work in uk i think i could have more chances if i get a Uk Msc, and because of that i would like to spend one year more to get another Msc. but at the same time i'm scared about the industries that could say: no you're old, i prefer a younger boy (23 24 years)

S

======= Date Modified 22 Jun 2010 23:24:22 =======
Definately not too old! I didn't even start my BA until I was 34, I will submit my PhD somewhere between my 42nd and 43rd birthday! I certainly plan to get work - 25 is so young, most of the people I study with are in their 30s and 40s, there are the odd few in their 20s but they are the exception - on my MA the oldest man was 73 (obviously not going for a job necessarily). I don't know your industry but generally speaking employers prefer slightly more mature people than someone who's 23 or 24 - there's certainly no discrimination that I know of at your age so don't worry!

E

For one thing it would be illegal for a company to discriminate on age in the way you describe, secondly they would be unlikely to want to anyway, as they'd probably look favourably on someone slightly older, because you've got either more work experience and/or higher education, plus hopefully the emotional maturity and life experience to know what you want to do in life.

Finally though, surely there's not all that much difference between 23/24 and 25/26 from an employer's point of view? I could understand your concern perhaps if you were going to be in your 40s or older and applying for graduate schemes. But I doubt anyone is going to care about or even notice if you're a year or two older than the average graduate!

I agree, 25/26 is no age at all! I'm in an engineering department (but I'm not an engineer myself) and the postgraduates are of all ages - some are in their early/mid twenties but there are far more who are older, 30s is very common and 40s and older not at all unusual. The department is very proud of how well their students do once they leave the university, so there can't be a problem with older people finding work. And I think it's true that the maturity that comes with being a couple of years older than someone who's come straight through counts for a lot with employers. (Also I got my MSc at the age of 36 and will be 40 when (hopefully) I get my PhD and I'm really not worried at all about that affecting my employment - but I'm not in your subject area.)