Options for dealing with punitive marking

U

Hello all

I have encountered a problem that I don't know what to do about and would appreciate the thoughts of the folk here.

I started a taught MSc in September and at first everything was going very well - good grades and enjoyed the course. Now things have started to sour and quickly.

First, the senior lecturer will be the only lecturer for the balance of the course (whole of second term) and also the dissertation supervisor - so we are exposed only to her ideas and biases.

Second, she is inconsistent in her marking depending on who the person is: for example, she was giving verbal feedback to us on an assignment and there was an unnamed assignment who she attributed to one student, telling him that it was a failing assignment and proceeded to list a number of problems; when it turned out that paper belonged to another student, she told the (real) author that the paper was "fine" and gave a few encouraging comments: same paper - different students, but the first student is someone she clearly doesn't like.

Now, after telling me that my work was "very good" with "very little need for improvement" a few weeks' back, she and I have since had some conflict and now I am marked down to 62% and I think this is in response to me challenging her on a couple of points.

I've tried talking to her about this, but she just denies it.

What are my options? Has anyone else had this kind of experience?

Thanks for your thoughts.

B

If you're studying in the UK, then each module will have a moderator and an external examiner to check the standard of the marking is correct before work is given back to students. You also can't change marks after they have been returned. If you can prove that procedures have not been followed, then complain to the head of department. But if your mark has been confirmed as correct by two other people, then whether or not you have had an argument with the lecturer, you can't really accuse her of bias. I would suggest asking for a different dissertation supervisor though as whatever has happened it doesn't sound like that is going to be a productive relationship.

U

Thanks Bewildered

Yes, this is a UK university. The moderation process is a bit of a joke - she decides which pieces of work go to a second marker (only requires three from each assignment to satisfy the requirements). I haven't even seen the feedback sheet for this assignment yet, and unfortunately this university course doesn't seem to have scope for an alternate supervisor.

AFAICT, this has not been confirmed by anyone else. I am so upset about this that I am now exploring changing the course altogether just to get away from her and her control. She knows that I am aiming for a distinction (already have one from a previous MSc in a different field, so know what I am capable of) and this is - I suspect - her way of sticking it to me because of a couple of things I have challenged her on (and not even confrontationally!). This is just so difficult to prove though. It just leaves me feeling sick - especially since I quit work to do this programme!!