Postgraduate Help! MA Conflict Studies

B

Hello to all,

I am applying for postgraduate courses in various Universities in United Kingdom, mainly in West Midlands. Currently I am a Broadcasting and Journalism graduate from University of Wolverhamtpon.

My main concern is about a course called Conflict Studies or Peace and Confict Studies (you know many Universities call it with different name). What are the job prospects except goverment positions? Is it good for a PhD later? Is it combination to Journalism? Can it offer you a completely good career, mainly in United Kingdom? My teacher at BA has an MA in Conflict Studies from University of Utrecht. He said that its a very good MA, superb educational and you can follow with it either an academy career either work in European Union .

I want please answers from people who have undertake this course and ask the above questions please. Also, what module did you like most in Confict Studies what hated most and if you have use it for you work.

Lastly, I am thinking in applying in Popular Culture too. The reason I is because I already have a straight forward deegre such as Journalism I can do a MA 'jack of all trades' in Humanites, English, History, Writing etc. Now what are the true career prospects of Popular Culture and what about in PhD.

Please give me also, thesis samples if you do a PhD course in any of the above two. P.S. My MA course will be part-time.

Thank you for your time.

B

Honestly, I don't think the career prospects for Popular Culture are great. Conflict Studies might open more doors but I'd only do it somewhere like King's College London or Bradford, both of which are really known for this subject. In general, I think it's only a good idea to do a masters degree if you know what you want to get out of the course, and are convinced it would take you a step closer. A Masters degree does not lead to an academic career - you need to do a PhD. Nor if you want to work for the EU, would Conflict Studies be an obvious choice. So I'd suggest taking a step back, deciding your career goals first and then looking at Masters degrees. If you want to go the Conflict Studies route, getting some relevant work experience first would help you make the most of the degree. If you want to work for the EU, make sure you have the relevant language skills and look at a EU Studies MA. It would be very hard to get through the application process if you don't have in depth knowledge of the EU.
Finally if you want to do a PhD, you need to decide what the topic would be and then look at where has funding for PhD students in that area. You might want to do an MA that places you more definitely in one discipline or take a research methods training Masters. To get research council funding in either the humanities (AHRC) or social sciences (ESRC) you have to have a very strong application. Basically, I wouldn't rush into doing a MA, do your research and think it all through. You need a clear plan to make the investment worthwhile.

G

Bewildered is giving a better suggestion, first decide that what do you want to do after that decide your study stream..