Problem about unfair and supervisor. Really need help

V

I have a problem with my dissertation as the supervisor suspected my work are not done it by myself. Because of my speaking are weak. So while in the meeting, I cannot answer some question. I really done it by myself and have a proof. Most of the evidence are not English language. The unfair department not really care about it. Just only told me that they think Im guilty and let me fail(without resubmit) because of I cannot answer the question very well. I also have some problem with my supervisor as he spoke very fast. I tried to tell him about could he please speak slowly but he ignore my request. Now the situation are very bad. I have one chance to sent the appeal form. Can anyone recommend me about how I should do? Can I sue my supervisor about this case because he has no evidence and he also suspected my flatmate(which not study at my university, he just only normal office worker) about he wrote dissertation for me.
Or where is the good lawyer about higher education problem? I found one lawyer company but the fees are 180per one hour not including 20%vat. I thinking about the fees maybe a bit high. So need some help about this issue. Thank you

T

Based on your writing above and assuming dissertation is in English...

I would suggest that either your writing is so bad to be worthy of the award or your supervisor is right!

In terms of questioning, was this a viva? In which case, it forms part of the requirements of the award.

T

Did you attempt to answer the questions? If you couldn't answer them at all then that would probably be regarded as evidence!

S

hi vivien
Since you have one chance to send the appeal form, just do that first.

R

IMHO, I don't think someone in that position would do such a thing without having a solid reason to do it. There are several plagiarism checkers that allow people to check whether or not your work is original. In case they can prove that you have copied the dissertation, going to a lawyer won't help. You'll only end up losing money. Talk to someone else in the department and seek help.

A

Dear Vivien,

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Here are a few thoughts, but please feel free to call me to discuss in more detail. My details are on the 'Alpha Academic Appeals' website.

You say you have proof that the dissertation is your own work. What is the nature of this proof? If it's not in English, then you will need to get it translated. That proof will probably form the basis of your appeal, along with a detailed explanation for why you struggled to answer questions in the meeting. If you did not make use of the 'proof' at the meeting, you should explain why not.

Find out what the permissible grounds of appeal are at your institution and identify the one that applies to your case. Everything in your appeal should then relate to that ground.

Also find out what the standard of proof is for academic misconduct at your institution, namely whether's it's the civil standard ("on the balance of probabilities") or the criminal standard ("beyond reasonable doubt"). Most universities - unfortunately for students - adopt the civil standard, which makes it much easier for them to find students guilty of academic misconduct. However, there are a few that prefer the criminal standard.

Finally, check the rules and regulations to find out if the University followed its own procedure for the investigation of suspected plagiarism. If they breached them, and the breach is material, then that should form part of the appeal (under 'procedural irregularity').

The focus at this point should be in producing the most persuasive appeal you can, with as much supporting evidence as possible. Consider what, and who, could lend support to your contention that you are the sole author of this work. You may want to consider producing a statement from your flatmate.

In my view, this is not the time to think about 'suing'. Issuing legal proceedings is the nuclear option and should generally only be done once you've exhausted the internal appeals process.

If you haven't already done so (and time permitting), I would recommend going to your Student Union for advice but, as English is not your native language, I would strongly advise having a professional draft the appeal statement for you. This is hugely important and you want to make sure your chances of success are as high as they can be.

As for the fees, the £180 + VAT/hour quoted is not unusually high, but the real question is how many hours you will be charged. You should ask them for an estimate in advance.

Best of luck,

Daniel

Senior Consultant, Alpha Academic Appeals