Social Science Research - nuclear power

K

Hi

I am studying for a Masters and I have to do a group project on finding out Uni student's perception of nuclear power compared to other energy sources. I am totally clueless on social research (I am a physical geographer!). We have to use 2 social research methods, I am thinking focus group (for a collective view point) and quetionnaires.

I really not to sure on this whole thing. Do you have any tips? I have been reading tons of social science books and journals, but they don't make much sense to me. The tutors aren't much help. Ahhh

p.s. has been cross-posted on other forums.

Cheers

Kangaroo

P

Hey, I'm a sociology student. To get started you should have a look at a book by Christopher Pole and Richard Lampard (2002) called 'Practical Social Investigation' (published by Prentice Hall). I'd imagine your uni library would have a copy if they do sociology or something similar.
Its a really easy book to follow and great if your not really sure where to begin with research. If you have to use 2 methods, you could just use surveys- stopping people on the street and ticking boxes and qualitative, semi-structured interviews- devising a list of 'topics' or 'areas' that you want to cover in an interview then just letting your sample talk all they want about these areas.
I'd definately recommend having a look at that book because it lays things out really simply with examples!!