*stressed/worried* What grade will I graduate with?

E

I have 3 taught modules + research project. Including both exam and assignments/presentation my marks are 74%, 66%, 58% for the three modules, and currently working on the dissertation. I did very well in the exam for the first 2 modules (>70%). The 2nd module result was quite low due to my journal presentation (i totally lost w the paper I got, was struggling to make sense of it, and technical problems w the slides made it worst, I blamed myself for not having a plan B *sigh*). The 3rd module was really bad because I barely passed the exam for that module due to stress (personal, but again I know I should've been stronger and more focused). My tutor told me that I'd qualify for a Merit, but do you think there's a chance to get more than that if let say I do very well and my project/dissertation and manage to get >75%? I have a 1st class BSc (Hons.), but I'm worried now since I'm planning to do PhD and my results are important to get scholarship....if only I could turn back time... :-(

Hi EvaG,
Are all of your modules equally weighted? Or might your research project count for more than a quarter of your overall grade? You don't seem to be in too bad a position at the moment, I make the average of your marks to be 66%, so it sounds possible to me that you could make a 70% average with a very good dissertation. You're obviously frustrated about your past two marks, but try not to think about them at this stage and just focus all your attention on the final project, then you'll give yourself as good a chance as possible. I imagine from what you've written that all of your modules are equally weighted, but for example when I did a masters the dissertation was worth 50%, and only the best two marks out of my three options counted alongside that at 25% each. It may be worth clarifying your situation if you're unsure, but either way I think you still have a chance, focus on making your final piece of work as good as it can be, and try not to worry about what's all ready done.
Good luck! (up)

E

Yes, all 3 modules are equally weighted and the project accounts for another 50% of the overall mark. I was stressing eversince the exams but nothing I could do knowing the fact that what happened (obstacles) was not something I could predict beforehand. So yeah, I guess the only way now is giving my very best to excel in my project and dissertation. I guess I just need encouragement sometimes, keeping it inside is driving me crazy :p Hopefully, miracle will happen *praying earnestly* The grading system is quite tough and strict in my univ. (if i'm not mistaken, Distinction requires 70+ coursework AND 70+ project), and hey, to pick 2 best marks out of 3 I've never heard of it before. Lucky you! I wish my univ. would think of this grading method too ^^

Thanks, Maccle! :-)

J

You cant turn back time but you can hope for the best. It is advisable to not let stress affect you in such a way that your performance goes low. Never let it come between you and your grades. Yes, the weight-age is equal so all you can do is hope for a good result. Also learn from your mistake and not repeat it again.