Can I apply for Masters if I have 3rd class honours+ PGDip with distinction?

E

I want to apply for masters degree at one of the high ranking universities and the minimum academic requirement is 2:1 honours degree. With my 3rd class honours degree, I got accepted for PGCert at another university and then I progressed to PGDip and I got pass with distinction. Will that grade meet the minimum academic requirement for masters application?

B

Emily, I think it depends on the subject (sciences seem more forgiving than the arts and social sciences) how high-ranking a university you are thinking of and where the two other degrees are from. If you have relevant work experience, that might also count in your favour. I would suggest just emailing the admissions team to ask, whether you would be considered (particularly if it's one of those high-ranked universities which charge an application fee).

R

What do you want to do with your Master's? You know you got a 3rd and can't apply for any grad schemes. Might as well go into the labour market with a PgDip and see what happens. Just try as hard as you can to get a job. Start from the bottom (PT jobs, temping, occasional work, unpaid/paid internships, but not volunteering - this is classified as volunteering in your CV, not as work experience - more of something you do for pleasure) and try to climb up. If you think you hit the rock bottom because you can't find any job, you are not there yet. There will be a time when you question your existence at all - because you can't find employment, and you think "anything that saves me from this hell," then do a Master's.

I really do not see the point in doing a Master's degree unless you know exactly what you want out of it.