3rd Class Degree PGCE

G

Any advice how to get onto a PGCE course in P.E with a third class degree?

I have been employed as a sports coach since 2007 working in various schools and took 2 months work placement in my final year of a degree teaching sport in a secondary school. I am now completing DTTLS alongside teachig hours in a school in order to boost my chances but have just been declined from school direct due to my grades (3rd).

I have also even looked at completing another degree but due to finance issues and the fees shooting up this year it doesn't seem like its going to happen!

Do I really need to look for a different career or is there still hope?

B

Hi Grant,
I think the problem with PGCEs is that Mr Gove has made it clear that he doesn't want people with weaker degrees becoming teachers and so the providers often have an auto-filter. You might get some good advice on the Times Educational Supplement forum on which universities and colleges might be more open to someone like you, then you could make very targeted applications. Given he also doesn't seem to think universities should train teachers and resources are shifting to school-based training, though is it worth asking the schools you're working in whether they envisage getting involved (or know people at the schools who are)? It strikes me that a strong reference for one of your current employers to a school-based trainer where they are known, might make sure that someone takes a closer look at your application. You could also ask on TES whether a Masters degree would help (only do this if you get pretty strong assurances it will, and you're sure that whatever problem caused you to underperform at u/g has disappeared).

Grant,

Your chances of doing anything with a third class degree within the academic or school system these days are poor to be honest. This was true when I got my degree when expectations were lower and a 2(ii) was acceptable for many things (the bar has effectively been raised - anything less than 2(i) is considered not worth much). I had a problem with freezing in exams and had planned to resit my final year if I was offered anything less than a 2(ii) at that time.

Bluntly put, at the time you knew your grades you should have looked into resitting your final year.

You might want to look at:

1) Self funding a PGCE. You are very unlikely to gain funding for a PGCE with a 3rd class degree. However, if you do this, your degree is still third class, which will be a major hinderance to any employment application unless you shine on teacher placement. You also need experience - I know someone who did PGCE after his degree (in his case a 2(ii)) and he's struggling on this point. He's trying to gain this voluntarily, but it's a long haul.

2) Take another degree. You comment that fees have shot up, however, if you contact the Student Loan Company you'll find out that you only pay back once you start earning more than £21,000 gross and even then you are only expected to pay back 9% of earnings beyond this £21,000 mark - this mark will rise with inflation (Browne review). This is better in some respects to the old system with it's lower trigger amount of £15,000 (though this also has started to rise with inflation).

--------

If you really want to teach, I would consider option two and you could probably do this part-time (i.e. also have some sort of part-time job alongside if available). If this part-time job is relevant, it may also give you the experience you need to help break into teaching.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

A

Hi Grant

At the moment - it would be difficult to get into teaching. However, as other posters have said - you could try a second - part time degree. In some cases you could perhaps get onto the second year of a three year course. You lose nothing by asking.

Is the Open University or distance learning a prospect for you? That way you can keep on working. If you did a closely related course, you would probably find things much easier second time round. Sometimes circumstances are not right the first time, a second try can bring much better results.

Also, are you really determined to be a teacher? There are other jobs. Many teachers do not actually enjoy their jobs. In addition, there is a fair bit of corruption in the recruitment for that profession. Maybe there is for all professions, but in education it can be very much 'who you know'.

Angelette

G

Hi People,

Thank you for the replies they have been very helpful.

With regards to taking a second degree I would be willing to do this but would I be able to get funding for a second degree ... I have been told you can only get funded for one undergraduate programme?

For some crazy reason teaching is the only thing I can see myself doing and the placement I am in at the moment I cannot see one negative area to the job however I have been told about corruption and politics within the education sector.

Would I stand a better chance at lecturing in a F.E environment rather than Secondary P.E??

Thank you again for the replies

R

Not my area of expertise, but have you considered a GTP? Might be worth looking into.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduate_Teacher_Programme

G

Hi Reenie,

Yeah I have tried the normal PGCE route and the GTP/School Direct Scheme. Unforunately I am starting to believe that because of my 3rd it isn't going to happen. If anybody can shine a light on gaining entry into an F.E enviornment that'd be great.

Thank You

A

Hi, I also have a 3rd class degree BSc Sport therapy and i to feel i am getting penalised. I did my PTLLS and have tried getting work experience with teaching agencys and interimships. My stories a little different, I hated school and my life turned around when i attened college and uni. But during uni i was diagnosed dyslexic, so essentially i had 20 years of education and not resitting anything unknowingly im dyslexic. Teaching is what i really want to go into aswell, all my references im assured at interviews are really good. I had an interview at Sheffield Hallam, they were really excited about me an offered me a place asap! But as i mentioned i had a 3rd and dyslexia they turned me straight down!! I dont understand how the educational system can allow people without a degree onto these courses? and yet not allow people with a 3rd (its a degree and what???) and dyslexia onto the courses! All the advice I could give is keep banding down the door.

W

Anyone with QTLS from having a DTTLS are qualified to work in secondary school as of April 2012 are no longer required to do another PGCE. The issue with QTLS to get a job in secondary school is the relevant school experience (which you have) if you get your DTTLS and gain QTLS you can apply directly to schools as a qualified teacher, as long as you are part of the Institute for Learning (get membership online) and register your qualification with them as they hold the teaching register.

http://www.ifl.ac.uk/policy-and-campaigns/current-policy-priorities/qtls-and-qts

Hope this is good news :-)