Acknowledging Supervisor...? Too personal?

F

I apologise this is probably an overdone and irritating question to the regulars! I am but a lowly undergrad trying to muddle my way through to an understanding of writing up protocols!

With regards to acknowledgments, specifically in a scientific style write up. I know it needs to be impersonal and brief but i can't really figure out how to acknowledge my supervisor for his all-round help! I can't pinpoint something specific so figured "I thank Professor John Doe for his supervision and guidance" would be appropriate...??
I'm not sure! But I'm hesitant to ignore his help as he's really given me a lot of advice not just on my dissertation but on my career plans and going into grad school!

Thanks in advance!

P

Why should it be too personal to say a word of thanks to your dissertation supervisor? Isn't that what the acknowledgements section is for? Unless it means something different...i.e. the acknowledgements blurb in a research paper or something, in which case too it is not inappropriate to thank someone, but more perhaps on the lines of their "valuable comments on some of the ideas in this paper"...but if it is a school dissertation, thanking the sup is more than appropriate.

M

I don't get it. Fair enough if it's going in for publication, then I think it's ok to acknowledge any guidance or help you had. But if it's only gonna be read by staff marking it, do you not think it's more apt to just say thanks in person or by email or something?

B

I have a huge list of thanks from folk I have interviewed, IT folk who have set me up and advised on equipement. Anyone who I feel has contributed to my research and supported me so far. Although I'm not including the NEXT delivery man, who can sometimes be the hightlight of my week (sad, I know).