am I crazy?

S

I very nearly bid for an ex-library academic textbook on ebay for £250 (including postage from the US and VAT). The book's out of print and I really won't find it cheaper. I've already had it out on interlibrary loan and read as much of the 1600 pages as I could but I'd like to have my own copy to sit next to me, I can't guarantee that I'll read it all again, but would probably dip into it.
Just wanted to know if anyone else would even contemplate this...
(and can I get it on ILL an indefinite number of times or just once? I'm not talking about renewal, separate requests)

D

That is quite an extreme thing to do. but I just splashed out on a WW2 RAF watch that cost me £200, and now I cant get any money out of the bank. It depends on whether you think buying the book will make you happier!

B

hmm, its a little crazy...I guess I would rather spend money on beautiful things, but if its going to make your life easier, then maybe its worth it!

F

If you really want it and think you will use it then I don't think you are crazy. Crazy is such a subjective term anyway!

As for ILL I am not sure about repeat requests, I don't think so but then you have made a good case for requesting again. I would ask your library I think.

P

I think books are beauiful things. You will keep it forever. Go for it!

A

I dread to think the amount I've spent on books - though most of mine are around £10 a time so it doesnt seem such a big deal. It's ust too, too easy to press that 'purchase' button on amazon.

If you'll use it why not (take it you can't persuade your library/department to buy it? ). You can always sell it on when you've completed your PhD if you want. Unless it is a choice between being able to eat and getting this book that is...

A

I've bought a couple of text books at around £120 each, so if you are crazy, then I am too!

P

I have heard that you can only request books on ILL once, because of copyright restrictions...that might only apply at my university though, perhaps yours has a different policy.

P

Sue I agree with Piglet that books are precious things. I have filled my spare bedroom wall to wall with my collection which dates back to me being a kid. I have never been able to let go of certain books, and there is something nice and comforting about having them around.
I recently read my old copy of To Kill a Mocking Bird which I had 17 years ago when I did my GCSE's and it had really hilarious notes in the margin and I had tipexed my name and I LOVE Jim Morrison, on the inside cover!!!

Some people are like this about Vinyl or clothes or shoes & I think the book is worth, as much as you are willing to pay for it.You cant really measure this by anyone elses standards but your own.

S

Well, I bought it, no regrets so far (apart from a slight panic that it might be sitting in our uni second hand bookshop, will check later!). I think the replies were a resounding 'no', I'm not crazy, so thanks, that's what I wanted to hear.

Pea, you're right, I can't imagine selling it once I've finished my PhD even if I know I'll never use it again (unless I'm starving like aliby said). We had to give our annotated GCSE/A-level books back to the school which I found really quite tough to do

Do any of you know if I absolutely have to pay VAT on the books? I've bought a few things from ebay.com before - the ones that came in envelopes (lower value stuff) were tax-free, but I had a biggish parcel (higher value) that came through customs which I had to pay 17.5% on. Does the choice of shipping method make a difference?

(oh, and I had my suspicions about re-requests from the British Library)

P

Good on you, sue. I love books - even nerdy, uni-related ones. I want a job so I can buy all the books I see in bookshops and think "wish I could buy this".

I long for a house with a library - walls of floor to ceiling shelves full of all the books I love, and a big comfy chair to sit in while I read them. My partner sees himself in a similar picture, but in his imagination, he wears a smoking jacket and slippers!

Well done, sue!

S

aww thanks. Just spotted that it was actually you who said 'you'll keep it forever', not Pea. Hopefully it'll be here before Christmas.

S

My books arrived yesterday! They're lovely, no extra customs/VAT charges either...Happy Christmas

U

Knowledge is power.

Just bought a 20-part encyclopedia with the entire world knowledge (not PhD related) for £400 two weeks ago. Maybe I'm crazy, too.

D

My watch arrived a couple of days ago. Its all packed up in Christmas paper so I cant open it til Christmas day!